Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

The Healing Quotes Thread!

"I know now that every time I accept my past and respect where I am in the present, I'm giving myself a future."

-a quote from 'The Courage to Heal'

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think this one sums up the healing process-

"Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and win a little more later"- Louis L'Amour

mainly here in the south: "girl up my sistas"

• 2 weeks later...

"You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.

-Maya Angelou

"Thou shall not be a victim. Thou shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shall not be a bystander."

The Holocaust Museum, Washington, DC

I LOVE this quote...it is very inspiring to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"a lot of people say they want to get out of pain, and i'm sure that's true, but they aren't willing to make healing a high priority. they aren't willing to look inside to see the source of their pain in order to deal with it." - lindsay wagner

• 1 month later...

Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.

- Hippocrates

There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with.

- Harry Crews

I own my insecurities, I try to own my destiny...

That I can make or break it if I choose

- Sarah McLachlan, "Perfect Girl"

• 3 weeks later...

"If you don't like who you are and where you are, don't worry about it because you're not stuck either with who you are or where you are. you can grow. You can change .You can be more than you are."

- Zig Ziglar

"Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world right in the eye."

– Helen Keller

"No one can defeat us unless we first defeat ourselves."

- Dwight Eisenhower

Edited by prezioso
  • 2 weeks later...

"I'm not asking you to get over it, I'm asking you to forgive yourself."

--Candy Finnegan, Intervention

• 4 weeks later...

"There were no words to take the sorrow away-but there were words to allow the sorrow to be present and those I offer you my friend. I will listen as long as you need me to and hold your hand longer than you ask. Who you are is who I love. We don't need to pretend that all is ok. All we need to do is be." -Bone Sigh Arts

"The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself." -Lao Tzu

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another" -Charles Dickens

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." -Anne Frank

"Brave hearts don't back down" -Sophocles

"I'd like to add some beauty to life,' said Anne dreamily. 'I don't exactly want to make people know more... though I know that is the noblest ambition. But I'd love to make them have a pleasanter time because of me...To have some little joy or happy thought that would never have existed if I hadn't been born.'" -Anne of Avonlea, T.M. Montgomery

"There's only one thing,

two (or to) do,

three words,

four (or for) you,

I love you."

It's from 1234 by The Plain White Tees.

It makes me happy.

We cannot control the wind, but we can control our sails.

• 2 weeks later...

"Last year, I was at my favorite bookstore. I went there because I was feeling sort of fragile and overwhelmed, and one of the things that usually makes me feel better is a bookstore. I was looking through the cards, the ones that have quotes on the front, and they're all big, inspirational, "seize the day" - type quotes, from people like Eleanor Roosevelt and Albert Einstein. And if you read them on a good day, you're like, "I will Eleanor Roosevelt, I will change the world one tiny moment at a time!" But on kind of a cranky, bad day, you read them and you think, "Well that's why you people are famous, because you do wonderful inspirational things, and all I do is try to get through the day without crying or loosing my mind." So I was looking at these cards,... I looked at this whole big wall of cards, and each one was making me feel more broken down and scooped away inside, so far from inspiration and hope. Then I saw one in the corner, in black and white, and it said, "You too? I thought I was the only one."

And it hit something inside me, and in the card isle at Schuler's, I started to cry. Really cry, like the kind of tears that have been waiting to come out for a long time. That night, I didn't need big, great, beautiful words from important people. I just needed to know that I wasn't alone. "You too? I thought I was the only one.""

Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines

• 2 weeks later...

Tehe!! My favoriteeee!!!!!!! :lol:

"All the darkness in the world can not extinguish the light of a single candle."

~ Saint Francis

♥,

Sadie

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

-Maya Angelou

"You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.

-Maya Angelou

"It's about realizing, painfully, you've kept that voice inside yourself, locked away from even yourself. And you step back and see that your jailer has changed faces. You realize you've become your own jailer."

-Unknown

"Remember that people are the least lovable when they are most in need of love."

-Unknown

"You decide whether you look at your reality or live pretending these feelings don't exist."

-Unknown

"Some people are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyze themselves too much, but you have to crawl into your wounds to discover where your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin."

-Tori Amos

“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

-Unknown

"The pain of the truth is not nearly as bad as pretending the truth does not exist"

-Unknown