Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

The Healing Quotes Thread!

Post your favorite healing quotes :)

"Turn your wounds into wisdom!" -Oprah Winfrey

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"People are hardest on themselves. Vicious. Mad. To feel compassion for others, you have to feel compassion for yourself - somehow."

-Tori Amos

I love quotes & spend alot of time looking for them. :wub:

"The roads are different, but the goal is one. When people reach the goal, all those who yelled at each other along the road, “You are wrong!” or “You are a blasphemer!” forget all possible differences. There, all hearts sing in unison."

~ Rumi

Guest -Jennifer-

This one is really important to me. It made me cry!

"When you stop putting yourself on the line, and you don't touch your own heart, how do you expect to touch other people." -Tori Amos

One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. -Maya Angelou
Guest -Jennifer-
" Some people are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyze themselves too much, but you have to crawl into your wounds to discover where your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin." -Tori Amos

People are like stained-glass windows.

They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,

but when the darkness sets in,

their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us."

Anon

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

Edited by teazle

"I sometimes think we expect too much of Christmas Day. We try to crowd into it the long arrears of kindliness and humanity of the whole year. As for me, I like to take my Christmas a little at a time, all through the year. And thus I drift along into the holidays--let them overtake me unexpectedly--waking up some fine morning and suddenly saying to myself: 'Why this is Christmas Day!' "

~ Ray Stannard Baker, pseud. David Grayson (1870-1946), American author, journalist.

“Come to the edge.”

“We can't. We're afraid.”

“Come to the edge.”

“We can't. We will fall!”

“Come to the edge.”

And they came.

And he pushed them.

And they flew."

~Guillaume Apollinaire

"The body says what words cannot" - Martha Graham

I love this quote, because I learned this year how much trauma the body can store and repress, just as our minds can. Martha Graham is also an amazing dancer and choreographer, so this quote has an amazing double meaning for me.

I am glad I ran into this quote, when looking for a good one to add to a customized LJ layout I was building for a friend :wub:

Guest -Jennifer-

This is my MOST favorite quote and for the longest time I did not know who the author was!:

"Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew."-Guillaume Apollinaire

It reminds me of my beautiful butterflies......when they were just catepillars.....*sigh* I miss them. They were such wonderful spirits.

You think you have mastered it, but just as you get well underway in following, it turns a back-somersault and there you are. It slaps you in the face, knocks you down, and tramples upon you. ~ Charlotte Perkins Gilman, "The Yellow Wallpaper"
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin Edited by -Nicole-

The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.

~ Ferdinand Foch

Guest -Jennifer-

"A strong positive mental attitude will create more mircales than any wonder drug." -Patricia Neal

"The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind."-William James

"A postive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."- Herm Albright

"Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of an uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd." - Edith Sitwell

" and the trouble is if you don't risk anything, you risk even more" - Erica Jong

"There are three things extremely hard, steel, a diamond and to know one's self" - Ben Franklin

"Sorrow comes in great waves...but it rolls over us, and though it may almost smother us, it leaves us. And we know that if it is strong, we are stronger, inasmuch as it passes and we remain." ~ Henry James

Change has considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful, change is threatening because it means that things may get worse To the hopeful, change is encouraging because things may get better. To confident, change is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better.

~ King Whitney, Jr.

I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence but it comes from within. It is there all the time.

~Anna Freud

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."

~ Mohandas Gandhi

"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be "happy." I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all."

~ Leo C. Rosten

In reverence for those women who have gone before us and paid the ultimate price...

WHO WILL GRIEVE FOR THIS WOMAN?

DOES SHE NOT SEEM TO INSIGNIFICANT FOR OUR CONCERN?

BUT IN MY HEART, I WILL NOT DENY HER,

WHO SUFFERED DEATH BECAUSE SHE CHOSE TO TURN.

ANA AHKMATOVA

Edited by Horses4Healing

Any change, any loss, does not make us victims. Others can shake you, surprise you, disappoint you, but they can’t prevent you from acting, from taking the situation you’re presented with and moving on. No matter where you are in life, no matter what your situation, you can always do something. You always have a choice, and the choice can be power.

–Blaine Lee

• 2 months later...

“Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light.” –Hellen Keller

• 1 month later...