Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Not Sure If I Belong Here

Kirtly

Hi,

I've been told I need to talk more (in general), but about some things in particular. And for me typing is a hell of a lot easier than talking, which is why I'm here.

However, I'm having a hard time figuring out if my situation warrants acceptance in a group like this. I was touched inappropriately by a close friend for several years as a teen/young adult, but it never went further than that, and I continued to be friends with him for much longer than I should have. I always pushed him away, but otherwise I just tried to ignore it, especially when there were other people around. I feel extremely guilty for not standing up for myself (clearly I was old enough to) and for not getting him out of my life sooner. Now, I'm in a serious relationship, and my past experiences with this guy have brought up some issues that I didn't even realize were there.

I guess I'll leave it at that for now. Please let me know if you don't think this is the right place for me.

Edited by Kirtly

Welcome Kirtly

Yes, you do belong here, and we do welcome you. I pray that the site will give you perspective on your journey toward healing from your past. We are a wonderful bunch here and I am sure you will like everyone as I have come too.

All the best

Hugs if you like

Alas

Kirtly,

You do not know how much I relate to your experiences and your doubtful feelings of belonging. I was sexually abused by two close friends. I have only recently started calling it that. The main part of their abuse was inappropriate touching or sexual advances. I was also sexually assualted, not sure if it was r***, but I still struggle with over coming it. When I first joined this site I really felt like I did not belong because what I experienced was "not as bad" as what others here had experienced, but what the people here have taught me is that you can't compare your experiences to others. What happened to you hurts and was not right. You deserve to heal from this and you can. If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to private message me any time.

Welcome to AS!

Safe hugs, if okay.

:)

Thank you everyone, sincerely.

Lily23, I know exactly what you mean with experiences being "not as bad" as others -- like I'm not allowed to be affected because it could have been so much worse, and I'm just supposed to get over it (and I have tried).

I'm already feeling less alone. Very glad to have found this site. :)

Kirtly, I know what you mean by trying to convince yourself to get over it. I did that for years. It did not get me any where though....

Having a sense of belonging has been very beneficial to me as I hope it will be for you.

I am sorry that you have a reason to be here, but since you do, I am glad that you found AS!
I sincerely hope that you find this site as helpful as I have in my healing journey.
You have taken a really big and positive step in your healing by joining AS and I am proud of you!
Feel free to PM if you need to. I will listen.
Welcome again! Safe :hug: if OK.

Much love and support, your friend, Chantel ♥

I agree. You made the effort to come in this Forum and give a brief description of what happned. And you are obviously affected by it. I am new here too and from what I have read, their is so much support here that you will feel welcome and will feel the love

Hey Kirtley,

You definitely belong on this website :)

I'm so sorry for what your "friend" did to you for all those years. It wasn't warranted, and it is absolutely not OK, and it's inexcusable. And like Mindfulmongoose said, we're not responsible for the actions others take, though many of us definitely understand how tough of an aspect that is to truly believe. You can get there, though, and believe it for what it is. I hope you find the support and understanding you're looking for as you start on your AS journey.

Hello Kirtly

welcome to After Silence, my name is Paula and I am one of the newbie support team here. I hope you are finding your way around the board okay, please let me know if you have any questions,

take care, Paula

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

Welcome to AS.

I hope you are finding your way around the boards ok.

Found

I hope you are doing well.