Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Listing Gender

I was just wondering if it is possible to include the gender of the poster with #of posts, date joined etc so that when you go to respond to someone you don't know you don't call a he a she by mistake or a she a he :ohmy::duh:

Sorry if this has been addressed before

It is listed on most people's profiles......if it just says Member, then they are female, if there is an M before member, eg M.Member, then it means the member is male.

I hope that clears things up for you?

teazle

how cool I see it lol I didn't know either so thank you for this post !!!

E.g (look to left)

<- M. Member :P

You can also see it on our profiles :)

I knew it was on the profiles but the other day I was responding to a post and then clued in I might not be speaking to a female and I ended up losing my response while I checked the profile

hey..just wondered..why is it that men are lited as M menebr ..and women, asd just mebers...

surely...if we are being equal and non discriminitory...it would make sence to have4 either Everyone lited as a memenr...OR..have men as m member, and women as F member...

just kinda seems to me and a few others i have chatted to before that by only listing men as differnetly, its like saying that they are somehow different....we r all susvivors..and all members...so surley if there is gonna be a distinction marked for men, there should be a similar distinctive mark to show women too?

I didnt know that either. However, I did know to look at profiles to find gender but didnt know, M. Member, meant Male. It does seem a little odd that it doesnt say, F. Member for female as well.

Oh well, Im sure there is a reason for this. :533:

Hey Sonnet,

As a male member, I might be able to offer some insight and my personal view on this.

Honestly Sonnet I have never felt discriminated against because of the M. before the Member in my profile, and as there are significantly less Male members in AS at this time, then there are female members then it would seem to me the most practical option for managing the board (e.g Male only members and Female only members forums), also adding an F. to the front of the female members profile, I think is a good idea, however adding one to every Female member in the board would take board space (web host space) which could be used elsewhere, so simply having a M. in-front of male members is probably the best solution, remembering there are 36 Male members and 7397 female members, it is probably the best solution for determined the different genders and the most effective usage of webhosting space and bandwidth.

I have never been discriminated against on this board as a result of being a male, and I am a firm believer that actions speak louder then words, so I have no concerns with the M. in-front of the Member, because I have always been treaded exactly the same as any other member here, which I will say has been awesomely :)

Although thank-you very much for your concern it is very thoughtful of you :flowers:

John.

What are the options for our transgendered survivors/secondary survivors?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sonnet,

If you feel it needs to be brought to there attention maybe you could send them a PM?

:)

John

yeqh, may do..thanx John.was just hoping there could be some sorta open chat, with other members being able to share their opnions too..as you have done, as this, I feel is important to bring balance and provide a broader spectrum opinion on this matter.

however, i might yet transcribe some stuff to a pm, if necesarry..thanx again john :)

hey..just wondered..why is it that men are listed as M member ..and women just members...

I'm sorry I didn't reply before....school is driving me insane.

The reason is purely a technical one. After Silence's memberships are based on usergroups, meaning access to different forums is based on usergroups. Guests, for example, can only see certain forums. Secondary survivors are listed under yet a separate usergroup setting, which allows them to view some of the private forums but not all.

Male survivors are listed as "M. Members" because we needed to create a separate usergroup in order to allow them access to the male-only forum without requiring a password. Male survivors, in fact, no longer have to type a password when they wish to access, read, and post in the male-only forum. As long as they select the right gender when they register, the "M Member" usergroup gives them immediate access to the male-only forum. This is honestly the only reason. We wanted to make things easier for our male members.

It would create many difficulties to add an F in front of the female members title for a lot of technical reasons I don't want to bore you with, but they are simply technical.

I have never been discriminated against on this board as a result of being a male, and I am a firm believer that actions speak louder then words, so I have no concerns with the M. in-front of the Member, because I have always been treaded exactly the same as any other member here, which I will say has been awesomely :)

Thank you for your reply, John. I'm very grateful for your kindness, your understanding, and the support you keep providing to the members of AS. I hope you know your presence here is truly valued. :tealribbon:

ahhhhh got ya now vera :)

no worries bout the not gettin time to reply sooner...and..sorry school is drivina ya mad at the moment....hope thingd settile down for ya there some time soon.

thank you for explaining the M-member thing now....i never even thot about it being related to board acess...lol, can ya tell i got NO tech skills wot so eva!

cheers for thaking the time to reply here, and hope all is well with you

xxxxx

Actually, just as a point of clarification, when we talk about the biological "male" versus "female," we're actually discussing sex and not gender. Gender refers to the social construct, such as whether someone perceives themselves to be female when they were born a male, or someone who is biologically female but identifies as genderqueer.

That being said, John and Vera pretty much summed everything up nicely--I just had to point out the gender role clarification because I'm in the middle of writing a Feminism kritik for debate about gender animus clauses. :P

genderqueer...is that a word!!!!!

sounds like a tricky debate your workin on hun..i would be lost form the outset...and probably booted from the class...after fallin about giggling at funny looking words..like the afore mentioned one i am currently mesmerised with :)

yeah yeah i know..im very very erm..."grown up" hahaha

While we're discussing words... isn't kritik spelled critique? The former does not appear in the Oxford Dictionary, the latter does.

Genderqueer however certainly doesn't (I did check).

The appropriate part of the deffinition of the word gender is given thus:

"n. Gramatical classification (or one of the classes) of objects roughly corresponding to the two sexes and sexlessness"

The appropriate parts of the deffinition of the word sex is given thus:

"n. Being male or female or hermaphrodite... 2. Males and females collectively"

I wouldn't have interpretted either of those to mean that they are terms that can be used to including self-defining classes such as genderqueer. Perhaps what is deemed to be acceptable in order to illustrate a point for a student debate isn't the same as the correct use of the language?

Edited by Wolfie

I remember now learning the difference between sex and gender studies stuff now in first year uni... it was interesting

If you put "genderqueer" into google you get lots of definitions, not nessecarily from the dictionary, but they are there...

Edited by bouncingoffclouds

google is full of nonsensical things...

i agree, it can bwe a great tool..it is my favorite search engine..however, it is an living programme, in the sense that it is constantly being added to and updated...and by enumerate sources..some of those sources professional..others...not so...

As far as i was aware also...the dictorary was created for the sake of language and expression..its primarly reason for being is as a tool to be used to acertain meaning of words..

~Google...its a search engine...it is not a lanugage tool

Actually, Wolfie, in debate, critique is spelled "kritik." It refers to a specific type of argument, or a "critical position questioning the Affirmative's case, methodology or rhetoric." So, no, it isn't, but given that it is not a widely-used term (hardly at all, outside of the debate community) it likely will never appear in the dictionary.

I'm also not surprised genderqueer doesn't appear in the more common useage dictionaries that you consulted. It probably won't for some time. The gender movement is a relatively new one and has yet to be accepted by social norms, nevermind more conventional ones such as the Oxford Dictionary. However, simply because it isn't in the Oxford Dictionary doesn't make it any less real, especially for the members here who identify as genderqueer, gender neutral or another gender identity not otherwise specified. Wikipedia has a really good article which explains what genderqueer is--much greater than a construct invented by the debate community, let me assure you. The alternate gender identity (as in, challenges to "conventional" gender identity) movement is an ever-increasing powerhouse numbering steadily in the hundreds of thousands. As for the debate community, well, so far our must public claim to fame is the late Rev. Jerry Falwell...:hammer:

The books I'm using to write the position are legitimate political-social works questioning the way in which we frame sex and gender, and indicating that many such present methods--including language--are wrong. One author is really specific that the way in which our language chooses to conflate the two terms--which are distinctly different--is especially tragic and evident about how desperately our language needs to catch up with our science. One example given is how 30 years ago, the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual cited homosexuality (coincidentally enough, another challenge to how we modernly interpret gender and sex) as a disease. The removal of that as an illness proves that language can be wrong and must be updated, frequently.

Sonnet, trust me--if I can grasp these debate concepts, you can! It really is fascinating to read. I used to inter-change sex and gender all the time, and this evidence has really forced me to think critically about it. I do not assume anyone's sex or gender any more, and when I start to, I catch myself and let them identify first. I actually won my break round at nationals last year because my opponent repeatedly referred to me as "Her," "She" and "That girl" while running a gendered-language kritik. My opponent was born biologically male, dressed andorgynously, and never identified zir gender one way or another. So I didn't, either, and instead referred to zim only as zir given name, "John."