Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Suggestion About The 25 Posts Rule?

I personally think that 25 posts is probably about the right amount. It is unfortunate that people are struggling to get to the 25 posts but I think on this forum, if you're going to be confident/talkative enough to be able to have a conversation in chat, then it is probably not too much to ask for them to have posted 25 times first. Remember, when you're in chat....you're supposed to be ACTIVE in chat, and if (and indeed WHEN) I was new and nervous, I was much happier posting than I was with the instant time stresses of chatting to new people. I was happier to get used to names and people in the forums before encountering them in the 'real time' environment of chat.

We did have a lower post limit, it was raised after a lot of trouble with people who hadn't really even started to become part of the forum, coming in and causing people to get hurt and offended, or just have a lot of misunderstandings going on. I think for the safety of the members here, our peace of mind and indeed for the new members themselves, the limit should stay at 25. It allows people to be able to get the feel of the forums, the people and the whole sense of the place before heading into chat.

While we have had complaints, I think that if people really want to become a part of the community here and join in chat, they would be more than happy to log in 25 posts first, which isn't much realistically. It is for everyone's good and I think that once the people who are complaining now are part of the site and the family we have here, they will probably appreciate the rule as well.

Anyway, thats just my two cents!! Sorry if I've offended anyone with this, or haven't made any sense, or shouldn't have put my nose in.

teazle

When I first came to this site I also was a bit thrown off by the fact that I had to post 25 times before I could chat. I did realize it was a guideline that was probably put in place to protect the all of the members.

I began to realize it was good for me also because I did not know how bad off I really was when I first joined this site. I mean for me I am always the strong one and always hiding behind my mask of happiness. Reading the posts I began being triggered into even more flashbacks etc. having time to learn how to deal with others experience while facing my own before I started chatting probably saved me and other a lot of pain.

In saying that there has been a few times in chat that I have been triggered, and one time that I tried to help someone who I wasn't prepared to help :( which made me feel bad.

When you are new to this site it is a learning experience into how to really use a community like this to be both beneficial for you and others.

25 post rule I think is good one.

((((((((((((((((Amylyn))))))))))))))))))) I think its awesome and shows how caring you are that you would take the time to bring this up.

We did have a lower post limit, it was raised after a lot of trouble with people who hadn't really even started to become part of the forum, coming in and causing people to get hurt and offended, or just have a lot of misunderstandings going on. I think for the safety of the members here, our peace of mind and indeed for the new members themselves, the limit should stay at 25. It allows people to be able to get the feel of the forums, the people and the whole sense of the place before heading into chat.

Yes I remember when it was only 10 posts to get in chat. It did cause problems. I totally agree that it causes a lot of confusion, you're right, chat can be really hard when new members really don't know anyone or get the feel of the place before they chat. I don't think it should be lowered that much, just slightly. I don't know, sometimes a little change can go a long way for making people feel more comfortable. I completely agree with what you said, I just thought maybe lowering it would cause less frustration. Because honestly I feel really threatened when some members think that the rule is stupid and then put only one word in each post to get 25, defeats the purpose. I mostly suggested this so new members didn't feel a need to do that.(and most new members don't do that, which I am thankful for)

While we have had complaints, I think that if people really want to become a part of the community here and join in chat, they would be more than happy to log in 25 posts first, which isn't much realistically. It is for everyone's good and I think that once the people who are complaining now are part of the site and the family we have here, they will probably appreciate the rule as well.

I agree with this for the most part. 25 really isn't much to me either, but logically...some members have never been at a place like this before and feel like 25 posts is really difficult. Just my opinion that's all.

I think this rule is a good one too, I just think having it a little bit lower might help new members more. :533:

I hope I wasn't offensive either... :unsure:

Edited by AmyLyn

You weren't rambly at all and it never hurts to ask something. :flowers:

Teazle and LouLou hit things on the head with their replies. Before we changed the number of posts to 25, we did have a lot of problems with new members either not posting at all or posting very little before they went into chat. We found that they didn't really know the board at all and many were looking for someone to talk to when they weren't really in a good spot to talk. We also had some trolls going into the chat room as well.

I am willing to bet that most of us found AS when we weren't in very good shape. We were looking for validation and understanding. Personally, I was looking for someone to throw me a lifeline and I wasn't necessarily in the safest place emotionally. If I had gone into a chat room like that, I would have caused an upsetting situation not only for myself but also for the others in chat.

Considering all of this, I don't think asking people to make 25 posts is too much. We are not asking them to start 25 posts...just to make them. We also offer several "lighter" forums where they can feel more comfortable posting.

I hope this answers your question. :hug:

I really don't have any problems with this rule, but as I stated in an earlier post, some members think it's ok to post one word at a time in every post so they get 25 so they can jump in the chatroom. I don't really think that's good. As you stated Kelly, not many of us are in really good state of mind when we first join. And it frustrates me when people are constantly complaining about it. There's an influx of complaints every so often and it's really bugging me. I didn't mean to say that this rule wasn't a good idea, I'm just tired of the frustrations about it and I thought maybe making it a bit lower would be better. Sorry. I didn't want to directly say that because I didn't want to offend people.

Edited by AmyLyn

I wasn't offended at all. :tealribbon:

I hear you and I understand the frustration that can happen when someone makes posts one word at a time or copies and pastes the same message repeatedly, but thankfully the majority of people do post more than that. I also believe that some of those who do post one word at a time just may not be able to offer much more than that right at that moment. :hug:

I think I was pulling for as many as 50 posts. Good thing my fellow mods/ admin are so much nicer than me :P

Okay Amylyn question has me thinking, is the reason behind this rule posted somewhere I have not seen? If not maybe we could pin Amy question in the welcome forum so that everyone understand why they need to have 25 posts before they can enter chat?

Okay Amylyn question has me thinking, is the reason behind this rule posted somewhere I have not seen? If not maybe we could pin Amy question in the welcome forum so that everyone understand why they need to have 25 posts before they can enter chat?

*really likes that idea*

I am sorry I did not see your question before Amy - I also agree that 25 psots is a good idea - when I first joined AS - I think we were able to go into chat without having posted anything! - my memory maybe be wrong on that!! However trial and unfortunately error has shown that 25 posts really means that members have taken the time and trouble to read and write here -

I know that at times people may have posted 'very quickly' just to reach 25 posts - but mods have been known to delete posts that have been simply copied and pasted just so a person can get into chat.

best wishes

karen

When I first joined I thought that 25 posts was a lot and that it would take forever. But I am glad that, that was the rule. I got to know the board and other people, which made me more comfortable. Now I think I am becoming addicted to AS. :lol:

kylie

i think it should be 10 post and then after that 10 post u get pm privaleges and then 5 after that u get chat privaleges i think 25 is to much because it gets boring posting so many post.

and some people might get bored and leave and wont come back. i personally was fed up with my 25 post half of em hmmm wont go there. i was going to leave. i think 20 is good. 25 is abit to much and i think going abit over board..

but i think 15 is better 10 post. to get pm privaleges. and 5 post to reply to people and idk get to know people but seriously 25 woah i think is to much.

but thats my opinion lol anywhoo

tc all

from living4life

i think it should be 10 post and then after that 10 post u get pm privaleges and then 5 after that u get chat privaleges i think 25 is to much because it gets boring posting so many post.

and some people might get bored and leave and wont come back. i personally was fed up with my 25 post half of em hmmm wont go there. i was going to leave. i think 20 is good. 25 is abit to much and i think going abit over board..

but i think 15 is better 10 post. to get pm privaleges. and 5 post to reply to people and idk get to know people but seriously 25 woah i think is to much.

but thats my opinion lol anywhoo

tc all

from living4life

Hi living,

I kind of disagree when you say that posting is boring. Just my opinion but I think posting is really useful, and I prefer posting to chatting for connecting to other survivors. I'm not attacking you, I just love posting lol. :) Take care Living :hug:

Edited by AmyLyn
i totally agree that 25 posts is great before entering into chat, i actually think it could be a little higher because it took me probably more than 25 posts to get acquainted with the boards.

You and Nicole should get together, she was talking about making it 50 :lol: