Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Taken Me 26 Years To Be Able To Say All This.

Hi everyone I am a fairly new member although I have put a few posts up. I was r*ped by someone (not a family member) I have known since we were 3 yrs old, we grew up together, went to the same school etc I even ended up having to work with him.

I was 17 at the time, I didn't tell anyone for some time because I felt like it was my fault and also as I am disabled I thought nobody would believe me if I did say something. Eventually I told my sister and her reaction was to call me a liar and say "it couldn't possibly have happened because you're disabled"!!! Like that made a difference.

Anyway as long as I had to face him somehow I managed to keep it together, but once my parents and I (I still live with them due to my disability) moved away the wall I had built up began to crumble.

Four years ago I finally asked the GP for help, he referred me to a counsellor and wrote on the form that I was not to be contacted at home and wrote my mobile number on the referral, but a letter was sent to my parents house and dad opened the letter.

It didn't say why I was being referred and they have no idea what happened, I will never tell them. Their reaction to the letter was to tell me I wasn't welcome in my own house if I went through with the appointment! I did go through with it but had to lie about where I was going, the counsellor was no good and told the gp I had too many obstacles for her to handle so she was discharging me! He said I could fiind my own help! I said I had tried so he then said he "can you give me a few days and I will get back to you" he never has.

In August I went to see another GP in the practice and he has been lovely, I am now on medication (again my parents have no idea). It has taken me 26 years to be able to open up about what happened and not feel like I am being judged.

Thanks for reading this and listening.

Invisible1971

Glad you found the courage to go against your parents and seek help and that you found caring GP :bighug: if OK

I'm so sorry for what you've been through, and for how you've been judged/not believed by others. :( So heartbreaking. As if enduring trauma wasn't enough, it adds insult to injury to be called a "Liar". I'm proud of you for seeking out this GP against your parents' wishes. Sending you support and wishing you all the best. This is a very caring community of individuals, I hope you find the support/understanding you're seeking. See you around, Invisible.

hello Invisible1971

welcome to After Silence, my name is Paula and I am one of the newbie support team here. I'm sorry for all you've been through and I hope being here will help you on your healing journey

if you need any help with any thing on the board, please let me know and I will do my best to help

take care, Paula

I'm so sorry for what you're been through Invisible. You are very brave to have gone after the help you need in spite of the obstacles. This is a wonderful, supportive place. I look forward to getting to know you on the boards.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow visible1971, as if the original ordeal was not enough! To then, not be believed or supported, to then be let down by the system!!! I admire your tenacity. I truly hope you find a lovely caring counsellor that can support you through your journey. May you also find friends and support here!