Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Silly Question

Ok, this is probably gonna sound really dumb, but what are cookies? (the only kind I know are the edible ones) and what does it mean if you click on "delete all cookies set by this board"?

thanx,

annie

(((Ann)))

The only dumb questions are the ones that go unasked. Cookies, computer wise are bits of information this computer stores on your computer, usually for identification but can also be used to track your progress around the internet. The ones this program uses are harmless and simply remember your information each time you 'log on.' That's what the "remember me on this computer" button does when you click on it. That's why you don't always have to go throug log on if you have clicked that option.

When you delete all cookies, you're taking all the information off your computer put there by other computers for various reasons. If you delete all cookies set by this board you won't be able to be automatically logged on when you come here. If you're on a public computer, that's a good idea. On your own computer you might allow the cookies, as long as you don't mind others who can use your computer being able to get into this site. On my computer, I allow cookies from this forum because I'm the only one who uses it.

As I mentioned some sites put information on your computer so they can track your progress around the internet. Some regard this as a grievous invasion of privacy, which it is, especially if they don't tell you they are doing it. Many popup blockers will prevent cookies from being allowed on your computer, unless you tell them to allow a cookie from a trusted site. If you google cookies you'll probably find more complete information than I've given you. This is an 'in a nutshell' answer.

:hug:

Meg

:outahere:

Edited by Ardatha

silly meg....cookies are the wonderful baked goods your grandma makes!! some have chocolate chips and some are peanut butter but they are all delicious!! if you check the delete all cookies box that gives the mods permission to come to your house and eat all your cookies....i think clown has been sleeping on your head meg!! lovekay

hehe I remember when I used to not know what cookies are. For a while I thought "hmm the computer says there's cookies but I don't smell cookies!" LOL I'm so stupid hahaha.

Haullie