Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Logging In Privacy

Hi there,

I have just noticed that when you log in, it stays signed in as my name until I press the log out button. I generally do not log out. Is there anyway to say that you have to log in each time you visit the site - I share a computer and think this would be safer. I have seen other boards say login temporily. Other people may not realise this issue and it may cause problems regarding privacy issues.

Thanks.

Whitedove.

Hi there,

I have just noticed that when you log in, it stays signed in as my name until I press the log out button. I generally do not log out. Is there anyway to say that you have to log in each time you visit the site - I share a computer and think this would be safer. I have seen other boards say login temporily. Other people may not realise this issue and it may cause problems regarding privacy issues.

It's back to the cookie jar... when you login you are given a cookie. The cookie is like a secret flag that allows you to browse from page to page... each page checks that you have the flag and then when your browser waves ot it allows the page to be displayed. These cookies bahave in a variety of ways... sometimes they have a short life, sometimes they don't die (yes, sometimes cookies never get eaten), sometimes they get scrambled and the flag waving bit doesn't work.

Back to your question... you want your browser to realise that you have walked away from the computer and to prompt for a username and password again. Hmmm. I'll have a peek at the login options in a moment. Sometimes you can set your own expiry time on a cookie eg. 30 minutes. Sometimes the expiry time needs to be set at the server end.... but cookies expiring on people left right and centre would cause problems. I'll tell you what I do though...

I use Firefox as my AS browser. That browser allows you to set privacy options to automatically delete all cookies, history and saved passwords every time you close the window or exit the application. If you walk away and leave it it will not answer your question but it's easy to be confident that the necessary bits are removed each time. Great if you need to make the occassional swift exit. Internet Explorer can delete them but it's a manual process and ... oops, I forgot to do it and got caught. I'll never fall for that one again.

I'm waffling and probably talking gobbledegook. I'm sure one of the admins will jump in with a better answer.

Edited by foxy

When logging in, check the 'remember me' box off and next time you come to the board, it will prompt you to log in.

Ah, I've had some sugar and have reread your message... as Lindy said, yes the remember me checkbox. A session that would expire if left idle too long would be a useful feature (that's what I thought you meant on first reading). Does the system allow you to set an idle time on the session?

Edited by foxy

you mean sometimes ... cookies ... just ... die???

karen

Edited by dodo
you mean sometimes ... cookies ... just ... die???

LOL karen... you're right... there should have been a

WARNING

This post contains information which the nibblers amongst us may find upsetting...

Edited by foxy

Hi there,

Thanks for this - the remember me box does not appear everywhere where you logon so I did not see it.

Whitedove

At the top of the page below the AS banner it says 'Welcome Guest', under that it says log in, click that and as you type your name and pw to the right just a bit there is a box that says 'Remember me', don't click it and make sure it is not clicked.

In the area directly above the forums is considered a fast log in, if you click that then it will show up as you have mentioned.

Does that help more?

I have been wondering for a while if there was a way to change the default to NOT "remember me." I log on from school quite often, and sometimes it's hard to remember to click that log in button instead of using the quick form.

Well, if you use Firefox and configure it to delete cookies automatically on exit then it will not remember you.