Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Cussing In Posts?

I understand cussing is not allowed in topic titles, but is it now not allowed in posts either? I'm a little frustrated that my venting thread was edited without my consent. I don't cuss often, but sometimes I just feel like it's necessary and it doesn't have the same effect when everything has little * in it. I thought it was ok as long as there is a warning in the title.

Am I misunderstanding something?

I would be upset too.

Just want you to know you are being supported and heard.

Found

I thought it was ok in the body as well, just not the title, but I just looked at a post I made today, and it's censored as well. I guess there's no point to me putting a trigger warning for cussing anymore.

I'm pretty sure the board does it automatically, just like the chatroom automatically blocks swear words.

No-one went in and changed your words, so it's not really a consent issue.

I'm not a board moderator so I can't really comment on why this is.

Possum

yeah I've also noticed that the board automatically puts asterisks in swear words. You can sort of get around it by separating out the letters so the auto-editor won't recognize them.

The board does automatically edit certain swear words, but not all of them. We rarely go in and edit them ourselves.

You can sort of get around it by separating out the letters so the auto-editor won't recognize them.

This totally defeats the parameters that have been set by the board and is not recommended.

I noticed another board I'm on does the same thing. Found out it even blocked the names of certain medications. Kind of freaked me out until I realized it was automatic. I was actually glad there, because I didn't want to cuss there, but posted something without editing, and then looked back at it. Since I'm dealing with emotional issues here, and can put a trigger warning, I wasn't worried about cussing here, but seems like it will still get filtered.

Suggestion for the moderators....there's a notice about swearing in topic titles that specifically says its ok to swear in the post. Could you add to that the bit about the filter? I know if I read that ahead of time, I wouldn't be so caught off guard and upset when it did happen. I could even choose to self-edit rather than have the board do it if I didn't my own words changed.

Thanks!

Suggestion for the moderators....there's a notice about swearing in topic titles that specifically says its ok to swear in the post. Could you add to that the bit about the filter? I know if I read that ahead of time, I wouldn't be so caught off guard and upset when it did happen. I could even choose to self-edit rather than have the board do it if I didn't my own words changed.

I think it's a good idea. I'll bring it to the mods/admins attention. Thanks. :tealribbon:

Strangly enough it edits certain swear words out of the posts - but not out of the title

karen

The board does automatically edit certain swear words, but not all of them. We rarely go in and edit them ourselves.

Would it be possible to turn that off...at least for the vent folder? I think it would be nice if there was a place to really say what's on your mind. If it was just in that folder and with warnings people could know not to go there unless they're ok with reading it.

Hey there,

I went to check our "Badword Filters" and did notice a lot more words had been added since the last time I looked, which I believe was done automatically when we last updated the board, so all the common swear words, like the f. one, were included.

I fixed it and the only "bad words" left now are the ones we believe trolls could use to upset people and/or post sexually explicit messages with the intent of upsetting members.

I'm gonna list the only censored words we have now below, in case any of you want to know which one they are. If you are triggered by explicit swear words and/or graphic, for some derogative, ways in which parts of the body can be referred to, please be safe and skip the spoiler tag.

Thank you.

c*ck, c*nt, di*k, p*ssy, motherfuc*er, sl*t, w**re, bit*h

Hey there,

I went to check our "Badword Filters" and did notice a lot more words had been added since the last time I looked, which I believe was done automatically when we last updated the board, so all the common swear words, like the f. one, were included.

I fixed it and the only "bad words" left now are the ones we believe trolls could use to upset people and/or post sexually explicit messages with the intent of upsetting members.

I'm gonna list the only censored words we have now below, in case any of you want to know which one they are. If you are triggered by explicit swear words and/or graphic, for some derogative, ways in which parts of the body can be referred to, please be safe and skip the spoiler tag.

Thank you.

c*ck, c*nt, di*k, p*ssy, motherfuc*er, sl*t, w**re, bit*h

Thank you for the update. So just to clarify it is ok to use cuss words in posts without censoring them still as long as we include the trigger warning in the title (and not cuss in the title). I want to make sure I'm understanding this right so I don't accidentally upset or offend someone with my sometimes potty mouth.

Thanks!

Thank you for the update. So just to clarify it is ok to use cuss words in posts without censoring them still as long as we include the trigger warning in the title (and not cuss in the title).

Yup, you are absolutely correct. It's okay to use full cuss words in posts, but not in titles. And we do ask that members place a triggering warning in the title, so members who are sensitive to cuss words or who are triggered by them can choose not to read.

Whenever possible, we really want members to use their voice as freely as they want, and censoring cuss words would go against it. :tealribbon:

Yup, you are absolutely correct. It's okay to use full cuss words in posts, but not in titles. And we do ask that members place a triggering warning in the title, so members who are sensitive to cuss words or who are triggered by them can choose not to read.

Whenever possible, we really want members to use their voice as freely as they want, and censoring cuss words would go against it. :tealribbon:

vera, thank you for checking the filter and taking out the swear words that are not especially sensitive in our context! it makes total sense to me to leave the ones that you left. and i am really glad that you are making it possible for us to express our feelings in an uncensored way.

:flowers::ThankYou::flowers:

riana

Thanks for that Vera :up::hug: !

River, I appreciate you raising this as many of us feel frustrated not being allowed to let rip when we need to without *'s making us look coy about it!! There's a hilarious thread somewhere way back in the venting section about just this topic if you do a search for it.

Lol, if you think *'s are bad, you should have been on a forum I used to use ~ that one was programmed to replace swear words with nonsense phrases, so for eg. the word "b*tch" would appear in your post as "Pregnant dog" (wtf?? That isn't even the definition of the word, lol!!), any rude word for male body parts came out as "thingy" and female parts = "girl thingy", cocker spaniel = "thingy er spaniel" (!!!), sh*t = "nuts", wh*re = "sleeper".

Imagine the embarassment, not to mention concern for your own sanity, when you re-read your own post a day or two later and found for some inexplicable reason you seemed to have written "I was pregant dog ing about my boss the other day and ...." LOL :duh: !!

Reyzl

p.s Just to reassure you, I added the *'s myself this time, it's not that the new adaptations are malfunctioning!!

Thanks for that Vera :up::hug: !

River, I appreciate you raising this as many of us feel frustrated not being allowed to let rip when we need to without *'s making us look coy about it!! There's a hilarious thread somewhere way back in the venting section about just this topic if you do a search for it.

Lol, if you think *'s are bad, you should have been on a forum I used to use ~ that one was programmed to replace swear words with nonsense phrases, so for eg. the word "b*tch" would appear in your post as "Pregnant dog" (wtf?? That isn't even the definition of the word, lol!!), any rude word for male body parts came out as "thingy" and female parts = "girl thingy", cocker spaniel = "thingy er spaniel" (!!!), sh*t = "nuts", wh*re = "sleeper".

Imagine the embarassment, not to mention concern for your own sanity, when you re-read your own post a day or two later and found for some inexplicable reason you seemed to have written "I was pregant dog ing about my boss the other day and ...." LOL :duh: !!

Reyzl

p.s Just to reassure you, I added the *'s myself this time, it's not that the new adaptations are malfunctioning!!

LOL that's awesome!!! I've actually been to a forum that used "nuts" or something like that...and I think also "darn", but the female dog and thingy are new to me and hilarious! I almost want to go rewrite my swear-a-thon rant and add in the replacements just for the comedy of it. Thank you. You've made me laugh out loud for the first time in a while!

I agree that sometimes you really just need to say what you think and i'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I was starting to worry that I was the only one that thought that dropping an f-bomb or two (or other such words) isn't a big deal and feels necessary sometimes to write about the level of evil so many of us have been through.

I'm also glad to know it was a filter thing...as I just couldn't figure out the logic behind anyone wading through my incredibly graphic rant to remove the i's from my sh*ts. (I'll be good since ppl have said on this thread they don't like cussing).

Thanks for your support Reyzl, and thanks for the help Vera!