Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Could You Make A Recipes Forum?

I was speaking to many other members in chat right now and we're all sharing recipes, and since cooking is a form of healing...can we make a thread dedicated to cooking and recipes? Thanks :D

Definitely agree that cooking can be healing. I do it all the time!!

I was speaking to many other members in chat right now and we're all sharing recipes, and since cooking is a form of healing...can we make a thread dedicated to cooking and recipes? Thanks :D

I love that idea! :wub:

Might be a good subforum for 'simply life' or so.

I have thought about making this suggestion several times. So glad to see that others think similarly.

I'd love to share some recipes!

I like the idea, will take to moderators to discuss, maybe it could go as subforum to Simply Life as I often see recipes in that forum.

Going to have to respectfully disagree. While I love cooking, there are plenty of forums that exist for people to exchange recipes. While it's great that there are sections of the forum where people can discuss things unrelated to survivor issues, I have seen a trend of cluttering on the boards and suggestions for multiple subforums. Do we need a subsection for everything..?

Gardening? Hiking? Hamsters?

I'm all for organization and categorizing like posts, but the further sectioned things become the more confusing it is and you end up with entire subsections that have a handful of posts a year.

While I agree that the "Different Types of Abuse" is getting a bit cluttered, I love the idea of having an area where we can talk about cooking. The relationship with food can be, all across the board, very challenging for survivors. Even if a subforum isn't feasible, I would think a thread would be VERY beneficial!

I think cooking - and eating - are major parts of self care for many of us.

And given the strong relationship between sexual abuse and eating disorders, food is important.

I'm a major crunchy granola type though - you all might get sick of me sneaking pureed vegetables into cakes....

I think there are loads of forums for recipe sharing and it's really nothing to do with survivor issues.

Most people cook (it's a normal part of being human) and any kind of basic self-care is a form of healing. There are a huge number of ways to self-care, so we could end up having many many forums. Such as exercise. Exercise is healing, and healthy (unless you're abusing it- I'll come to that) . So why not have an exercise forum with tips and hints, and subforums for running, walking, cycling, swimming? And then there is interaction, human interaction is a basic part of showing ourselves some care, so a forum for meeting up with friends or starting new friendship groups. Knitting, sewing, crochet, etc. are also activities that, like cooking, are creative and can be done in groups, so maybe there should be a thread for each of the crafts? Cooking can also be practised as a precision art, as can as driving, applying make-up, dog training etc etc. Cooking is a domestic chore, but so are cleaning, ironing and sorting the mail. I can not think of anything unique or specific about cooking that qualifies it to have its own forum/subform. I also can not think of anything about cooking which is a survivor issue rather than just a general life thing.

May I also say that exercise and food are two forms of basic self-care which are easily open to abuse. There is a forum for eating disorders, where numbers are not allowed, and nor are diets and meal plans and yet, if we have a recipe forum people will inevitably share recipes for low calorie or "healthy" foods. Then again some ED'd people over eat or binge and purge, so more or less anything that gets posted is open to abuse. Posting about what you have cooked and eaten can also be a form of monitoring yourself and getting approval from others for how well you have done. This is the sort of behaviour that is banned on AS but is seen on pro-eating disorder websites. My own fear, having had eating disorders on and off for the last decade, is lapsing back into one and using this forum to see how much 'better' than myself others are being. It's something I have done before and I'm sure many others have too. I think a recipe forum or thread would only encourage it.

Rosi

Well-said, Possum. Most of my concerns in a nutshell.