Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

First Post - Confused

biseach

Hi. I'm new here & torn between blurting everything out & shying away from saying anything. I've been telling myself for years the things that have happened were no big deal & haven't affected me. Now I know they have affected me deeply but a big part of me believes they shouldn't have & that I brought them on myself. So while I want to heal from feeling the way I do about myself & about men, I don't feel entitled to need to heal, if you see what I mean. I have a lot of questions about the things that happened & whether I see them in the same way other people would. So, that's where I am. I don't really want to blurt things out for the wrong reasons & hope I'll read posts for a bit first but there's a pressure inside me to finally ask other people whether it's ok to feel the way I do.

Hi. I'm new here & torn between blurting everything out & shying away from saying anything. I've been telling myself for years the things that have happened were no big deal & haven't affected me. Now I know they have affected me deeply but a big part of me believes they shouldn't have & that I brought them on myself. So while I want to heal from feeling the way I do about myself & about men, I don't feel entitled to need to heal, if you see what I mean. I have a lot of questions about the things that happened & whether I see them in the same way other people would. So, that's where I am. I don't really want to blurt things out for the wrong reasons & hope I'll read posts for a bit first but there's a pressure inside me to finally ask other people whether it's ok to feel the way I do.

Hello Biseach, :hi:

Welcome to AS (After Silence)!!!

Well, it's okay to just hang out for a while and look things over. There is no requirement that you post a certain amount or tell everything and there is no rule that you have to respond to others either or give a certain amount of support. We want you to take it easy at your own pace and never feel pressured to do anything that is not completely comfortable for you.

I know what you mean by going back and forth between realizing you've been through some soul crushing tragic experiences and then thinking it was no biggie. One thing I think you'll find common is that survivors often feel they were somehow to blame or "brought it on themselves." Well that's not true. You're not to blame and you're not at fault. Part of feeling that way is that trauma effects our brains to produce feelings like that, but though they sometimes "feel" true they aren't! That said, oh dear, it is OKAY to feel how you feel. It's perfectly understandable and SO many survivors share those types of feelings.

Well, i think you deserve to heal and you merit nothing but kindness and compassion. It's totally okay to blurt things out even for the wrong reasons if it will help you on the path to healing. That's what AS is all about. Think of the members of AS walking beside you every step of the way with support. :)

Welcome again and I hope you will find AS to be a kind and safe place to let out all those feelings that it sounds like you've kept inside for quite some time.

With support,

Activist Ally

Hello Biseach. I know those conflicted feelings so well. It's not easy taking a step like this, but you have. I'm sorry for what you went thru, but you do deserve to heal, everyone does. I've only found my way here a short time ago, but I have seen there is really no wrong way of expressing yourself. You will never be judged, and you will always have support. Best of luck to you.

Mary

Hello Biseach, :hi:

Welcome to AS (After Silence)!!!

Well, it's okay to just hang out for a while and look things over. There is no requirement that you post a certain amount or tell everything and there is no rule that you have to respond to others either or give a certain amount of support. We want you to take it easy at your own pace and never feel pressured to do anything that is not completely comfortable for you.

I know what you mean by going back and forth between realizing you've been through some soul crushing tragic experiences and then thinking it was no biggie. One thing I think you'll find common is that survivors often feel they were somehow to blame or "brought it on themselves." Well that's not true. You're not to blame and you're not at fault. Part of feeling that way is that trauma effects our brains to produce feelings like that, but though they sometimes "feel" true they aren't! That said, oh dear, it is OKAY to feel how you feel. It's perfectly understandable and SO many survivors share those types of feelings.

Well, i think you deserve to heal and you merit nothing but kindness and compassion. It's totally okay to blurt things out even for the wrong reasons if it will help you on the path to healing. That's what AS is all about. Think of the members of AS walking beside you every step of the way with support. :)

Welcome again and I hope you will find AS to be a kind and safe place to let out all those feelings that it sounds like you've kept inside for quite some time.

With support,

Activist Ally

Thanks so much Ally. I really appreciate your reply, which is very reassuring because I've never tried to get any kind of support before. It has been a very long time. The first time was 22 years ago & it's only in the past year I've seen the coping mechanisms I used after & how they changed after the last time 10 years ago & how neither kind helped me at all.

It often feels like half my brain is saying "It's normal to feel like you're wrong about everything" & the other half is saying "yes but I'm the exception because I really am wrong"!

Thank you again (if I'd worked out smiles, I'd put one in here!)

Hello Biseach. I know those conflicted feelings so well. It's not easy taking a step like this, but you have. I'm sorry for what you went thru, but you do deserve to heal, everyone does. I've only found my way here a short time ago, but I have seen there is really no wrong way of expressing yourself. You will never be judged, and you will always have support. Best of luck to you.

Mary

Thank you Mary. And thank you for your own introduction post too. Reading your post helped me to decide that it was time to try to talk by joining the forum. I'm sorry for what you went through too but really glad you're already feeling so supported. Thank you again & all the best of luck to you in your own healing too.