Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Human Trafficking Resources

Could a mod please add a new post under United States in the Public/Resources forum, for All States or nationwide resources? I would like to post the Human Trafficking Hotline, which is 1-888-3737-888. I would also like to post links to the Salvation Army (which does anti-trafficking work nationwide and globally,) and some other groups such as the Polaris Project, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the TIP report (Trafficking in Persons report, 2009) and the Hidden in Plain Sight report which is a resource from the US government publicizing what trafficking is under the law and what the indicators are, in great detail. Furthermore, I am not comfortable posting under the individual state where I live. If individuals want to know more about efforts in their state, the best thing to do is call the hotline, they are very helpful there.

This is of benefit to survivors of trafficking as well as every person in the United States, who may see trafficked people regularly without realizing it, or with some dim sense of recognition that precedes real awareness. When I was trafficked, it was well known in my home town that I was not free, and outsiders who came to my place of work (I was employed legally, but my traffickers collected my paychecks) often asked me if I was legally employed, if I was of age to work. Social workers in town knew I was not free but thought it was domestic violence and I would leave "when I was ready." Something was lost in translation.

• 1 month later...