Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

I'm The New Kid In School

Hey. My name is Amanda and I'm 27. I was sexually assaulted by a good friend of mine in 2008. Originally, I kind of shut down. I didn't talk to anyone about it and when I told my psychiatrist about it (I was seeing him for an entirely different issue), he immediately said that I was experiencing PTSD, which made me mad and made me shut down even more. I didn't tell anyone else about it for months, not even my dad.

I have had mild issues with it over the years. I became really active on my college campus and even planned three Take Back the Night rallies. I told my story at the last one I attended before graduation.

Now I work in a domestic violence shelter and have been experiencing a lot of triggers lately. I had to attend a mandatory sexual assault training last week (three days+seven webinars). It was hard and it brought back a lot of memories and feelings that I had repressed. I told my boss what was going on and he was surprised, but has encouraged me to reach out for some kind of help. I am waiting for a counseling center to call me back to set up my intake appointment, and I decided to join this group because it somehow feels safer to talk to some faceless strangers about this.

My boyfriend has also encouraged me to reach out. I have had two panic attacks during sex with him in the last few weeks, and I'm kind of scared to sleep with him again because I don't want to have another panic attack.

Anyway, that's me, in a nutshell.

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to AS. I am really sorry about your trauma, and I understand shutting down. I did it for 30 years, before I found AS and decided to reach out, as you are now. I admire all you do to fight back for you and others at your college campus. It is an accomplishment to work thru triggers to do so. I do wish you well on your healing journey and hope to see you around the boards.

Mary

:notalone:

Edited by MeBeMary

Hi Amanda; I sympathize with you being new (me too!), and shutting down (me too!). I've recently started working with a therapist. You are so brave to do the work you do and to have worked against abuse. I hope I can be that brave some day and make it less likely that others will be abused. I look forward to reading your story (when you're ready) and working alongside you on our different but parallel journeys.

:aswelcomesu:

Hello amandapanda,

welcome to After Silence,

my name is Paula and I am one of the Newbie Support team here. I hope you are finding your way around the board okay, if you have any questions or need any help, please contact me or one of the team

take care

Paula

Welcome Amanda. I am new as well, and already enjoying the support and understanding which permeates this place. I feel myself relaxing.

I, also, have accomplished some important things for "society" (even with my dark secret), and I am sure that folks looking at me, and interacting with me, would never suspect my demons and nightmares.

Short version: I think this will be a place where neither of us have to be "on stage" I hope I find that to be as relaxing and fulfilling as it seems like it should be. I want to relax here and take care of myself. I hope my ego and my need to be acknowledged and appreciated do not get in the way of the next best steps for me.

I deserve relaxation and healing . And so do you. What was done to us was not our fault. We are good people who deserve to rest, and the deserve t.the best

Let's rock this place!