Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

"after Silence"

After Silence is an incredible place of healing full of support,friendship,nurturing and Love.

The phrase we have chosen for our wristbands has had me thinking as I anxiously await my special delivery. .

What does the phrase "After Silence" mean to you?

To me "After Silence" means:

I am growing and becoming stronger. I am no longer silent, I have found my voice. I am the only one of 6 kids in my family speaking out and "After Silence" to me means losing some of my biological family (that I was never close to anyway) and a few friends(who weren't really friends at all). I am a metamamorph in the process of becoming a butterfly. It is a time of self-discovery.

( know I have more to share but blanked out LOL.)

I have become.....

"Drying My Wings In The Warmth Of The Mid-day Sun"

:hug::throb:

Lee

Edited by phoenyx
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Little Miss Happy

What a great thread.

so what does AFTER SILENCE mean to me?

- i like you am excitedly awaiting my wrist bands which i will wear with pride. I am sure wearing it will provoke some questions of others about what 'cause' it supports.

when these questions are posed i guess i will say it is a band about sexual abuse/rape awareness and then explain this board. That in itself for me will be 'hard' - because i am sure people will piece two and two together and realise that there must be a 'reason' i am wearing it.

i do wonder what after silence means for me, it seemed an apt phrase for the wrist bands because of the forum name. but i haven't really broken the silence... well not much anyway... i have told a counsellor, my mum (knows some of it) my friend also knows, but i would like to break the silence completely ~ im just not strong enough for that right now, one day maybe i will be ~ maybe my new wrist band will give me that strength.

so no interesting accounts of what it means to me just yet, but one day, maybe the meaning will be clear to me.

Dawn

:wub:

:hug: A great thread, I am only going to be quick in my reply at the moment because I have got to shoot off and do other things, but I will come back at some point and answer this more fully ... So for now ..

After silence we have many wonderful beautiful voices ... :hug::hug::hug:

I could easily write a full page post, but I think I can wind it down to a few words shockingly. :)

AS to me means... :wub:family :wub: which is the very first feeling I feel the minute I step foot in here and the very last feeling I feel when I leave for the day.

Alot of feelings & emotions surround the word family for me, so I think that sums it up. :hug::hug:

AFTER SILENCE for me mean... speaking up, not being silent and letting my voice be heard.

and ya know donna you make a great point AS is family. i never thought about it before but you all really are my family. we're a great support system for each other, where we can cry, laugh and just be ourselves and not be afraid of what someones thinking, because we've all been there.

so when someone asks why im whereing it i will say... because im no longer silent, i belong to a sight for survivors and we are all a huge loving family, who have found our voices and want to be heard.

-kristine

:hug::hug::wub::hug::hug:

Guest -Jennifer-

To me "after silence"

Means...after the storm. Living and being full and alive, "after the silence" as ended. Its all of the pain, hurt, anger that is essentially my aftermath. It is the journey from the day I admitted to myself, to others around me, coming here for support, that I was a survivor of rape. Its the beginning to the end of the rest of my life. After silence can be grey, dim, dusk, sad, unhappy, morbid, sick, red, or you can take power over your after silence and make it beautiful....

To give a picture of what I would think it is....Imagine the outdoors....right after a strong rainstorm, or hurricane (for us Floridians). Its got that "just rained tint" The color of the green grass is exemplified, the sounds of the birds chirpping-exemplified....A long stretch of beautiful green field, with a few bushes....on those bushes a few blossoming beautiful pink flowers....*sigh*

And while there is all of this plush life, buzzing around, everything is completely silent, as if it is in awe at the miracle of surviving the storm...Anyhow.

Oh I feel happy now.

Warm Feelings.

I don't know where I heard it, but whenever I think of the words "After Silence", I think of the quote, "After Silence, the healing begins."

I found this message board while I was reading the book, After Silence, it was also around the time I did break my silence successfully (yes, there were unsuccessful times). The path that lead me to this board was interesting, but I know there was a reason I found it and stayed here. After Silence holds a special place in my heart and my healing.

"After Silence" means a lot to me in so many different and wonderful ways. I do feel comfortable, like I am coming home when I log on every day. :hug:

:throb::wub: Nicole :wub::throb:

great idea!!!

getting these wristbands are gonna be a great boost for me.. to me, its going to bring courage support and i no its been mentioned before but the feeling of family, closeness and compassion i guess. looking at the wristband will give me hope and comfort knowing i have u guys here whenever i need, and when im low, i can look at it and know that im not alone, not at all.

racheal

I came across After Silence one evening having hit rock rock bottom. I believe it saved me in alot of ways. I had totally given up and just wanted to end the pain. I read for hours and for the first time since my attack I felt a small glimmer of hope that I may actually be able to get through this. Reading about others who were further along in their healing gave me so much hope.

AS will always hold a special place in my heart. I feel it saved my life in so many ways. I'm not sure where I'd be today without it. It gives me the strength to get throught he hard times. Without AS I'd never have met the wonderful amazing people I have been lucky enough to get to know and I'll be forever grateful for it. :)

:throb::throb::wub:

Without AS I'd never have met the wonderful amazing people I have been lucky enough to get to know and I'll be forever grateful for it.

((((Jess))))

we are the lucky ones!

Since we have this brand new "Well-Being" forum, I moved this topic here as it seems to fit pretty well :)

After Silence is one of the very few things in my life that I'm proud of :throb:

Vera - you are so amazing. AS is just the first in many amazing projects you will touch so many with. Well, I guess your website itself would have been first, which is an amazing resource for survivors! You should be proud!!!

Nicole :hug:

To me, "After Silence" means finding my voice and realizing a few things. It was never my fault and more importantly, I am no longer alone. I am no longer a victim, but am a survivor. I have met some wonderful people here!

PS how do I get a wrist band?!

Kelly

After Silence means exactly that. This is the first time except my hubby that I broke the silence and I'm keeping it broken. EVeryday I break it!

I've met many wonderful people and I'm so lucky to have met each and every one of them.

:hug::wub:

To me After Silence means me being able to be true to myself and to others. I am free to be me and I dont have to keep anymore secrets. It means that after all these years of being alone in silence that I can now face what has happened to me and deal with it. It means that I have met some wonderful, helpful and very caring people who have helped me out so much. Breaking my silence has made a big difference in my life in many ways. And I cant thank everyone that has helped me and supported me enough. Before this site, I never wouldve thought that a web site could have such an impact on my life and make me realize that I'm not alone, and I'm not such a weirdo after all. And that even after all that I have been through I am still a good person and I can do something good with my life. I love you all, thanks so much. It is truly a wonderful thing that we are all here for each other and support one another. :wub:

:hug::throb::hug::throb::hug::throb::hug:

Jessica

:hmm: i'm not sure if it has a meaning for me yet, i could define it logically but personally i'm not sure. Although I have just started it is still hard for me to realize that this actually happened. A few ppl other than my therapist knows so I guess that is a start, but I do like this website there have been times it has helped :dance:
  • 2 months later...

AFTER SILENCE means I give myself permission every day to be more than just a Survivor, but a thriver!

Haullie :wub:

It means two things for me.

Not having to be silent. I lived in silence for many years and it means a great deal to me to find boards such as this where you do not have to be silent and it is ok to be who you are and not have to hide.

Also, I have met some wonderful people here who are an inspiration and the board has done great things for me. Good on you for taking the time to develop such a forum as this. I am sure it has helped a lot of people - regardless of whether they post or not.

• 1 year later...

"After Silence" gives me a lot of hope that one day I will be able to break the silence that I have lived with for so many years.

As far as AS boards and forum. This place to me is a wonderful safe place that I know I can come to night or day and be around wonderful people who understand me and who will not judge me. This is a family to me. This place has become such a part of me that If I am not able to come on and talk with everyone everyday than I feel like there is something missing.

I have made so many wonderful friends on this site. People who I know will be in my life forever. I could never thank Lindy and Vera enough for giving us this place to heal together! I love all of you very much :bighug:

:hug: :hug:

Sad

AfterSilence means I have a refuge, somewhere to go where people understand , advise and dont judge. In the short time, I've been here, it has become a place of peace, support and friendship. I have developed friendships here that I hope will last a very long time.

I am so glad I clicked on 'aftersilence.org'

love Paula :hug::wub::hug: {for everyone here}

AS to me is a haven, a home, and true friends. Here I found that i CAN be liked just for me and that I don't have to pretend. AS is my passport to the world, where else could I talk daily with friends in countries I barely knew were even there. And I treasure them. AS is a place of learning for me, I've learned to bend a little , and just what things are worth fighting for. AS is my brag book , my balancing scale , my place to be gentle.

AS gives me the love I've yearned my whole life for and a huge family of survivors that can understand who I am.

Blessings, "D"

• 3 weeks later...

i've only been a member for a short time, but AS means.....i am not alone, others have been where i am, and i am free! free to talk about it, free to finally be a survivor rather than a victim, and free to define myself as opposed to "IT" defining me!... :loveas:

i havent been a member long but to me after silence means,

being part of something and being accepted for being me,

finding my voice and finding my tears, after silence helped me find who i am,

also i feel like i found home... and friends

• 2 weeks later...

i am qoueting here on Most parts but adding my thought in to it and i am qoueting from DAWN but adding my parts b/c i think the same as DAWN (Guest_Little Miss Happy_* Aug 21 2005, 11:44 AM )

so what does AFTER SILENCE mean to me?

- i am thinking of getting one but dont know yet but which i would wear with pride. I am sure wearing it will provoke some questions of others about what 'cause' it supports.

when these questions are posed i guess i will say it is a band about sexual abuse/rape awareness and then explain this board. That in itself for me will be 'hard' - because i am sure people will piece two and two together and realise that there must be a 'reason' i am wearing it.

i do wonder what after silence means for me, it seemed an apt phrase for the wrist bands because of the forum name. but i haven't really broken the silence... well not much anyway... i have told a friend but i would like to break the silence completely ~ im just not strong enough for that right now, one day maybe i will be

remember i qoueted some