Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Time For A Change

Hi Everybody,

Finally after months of deliberating I have decided to join After Silence in the hope of meeting people who understand what I am going through. I have not told many people what happened to me as a child but the people I have told- due to no fault of their own find it difficult talking about it with me (Which I understand 100%)

I would appreciate any advice people can give me about seeing a psychologist too. I am hesitant to see one because I am scared that if I do they will tell my parents what happened to me and I don't think I am ready for that yet.

XXXX

notgivingup

Heya :) Welcome. I'm sorry for what brought you here but glad you feel you have somewhere to turn.

Seeing a psychologist is a very personal decision. As for telling your parents, you'll have to check what the confidentiality requirements etc are like in your country. Probably depends how old you are and what the basis for the psychology program is :)

But explore AS and post on some of the other forums and I'm sure you'll get good feedback :)

hello notgivingup

welcome to After Silence, my name is Paula and I am one of the newbie support team here, I hope you are finding your way around okay, if you need any help with any aspect of the board, please let me know and I will do my best to help

take care, Paula

Hi,

I'm glad you're not giving up! I hope you find some of the kind support you deserve here on this site. Things can get better and there is healing. I'm glad you are reaching out for support.

:flowers:

Activist Ally

Hi, it sounds like you are quite young, I would say get as much help as you can, now. I only got to see a psychiatrist years after my SA etc, and she identified my main problem being my coping mechanisms- which had become entrenched and were very difficult to change. Hope this helps and I hope you get the help you need.