Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Idea For Another "visiting Author"

I recently read a book by Steven Levenkron. It's about self harm, and it was so good. He is so incredibly insightful, and I know we're not supposed to talk about si in chat, but I was thinking it would be really nice to hear from him as we heard from Dr. Patti. So many people on this board struggle with that, and I think if we set up some really tight guidelines it could be really good. His book is called Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation and he has a web site at www.levenkron.com. I just felt as I read it that he really gets it, and apparently this is his expertise. It helps to understand and sometimes when we understand what's going on with us, we can plan ways to help ourselves make sense of our feelings and find alternative ways to handle things. Just thought it would be a good idea, but I will understand if you don't think so. I know this is a very very tough subject and would need rigoroius guidelines in place, but if no one shows up in crisis (which we're not supposed to do anyway) then I think it could work and be very beneficial to many. Things which aren't talked about often get worse. It's the silence of it all that kills us most.

Just my suggestion,

Windy

Windy mentioned this book to me and I just ordered it. She also mentioned getting him to speak in chat but wasn't sure if it would be allowed. I encouraged her to ask and I'm glad she did. So I'm throwing my 2 cents in too. I think this would be a great chat topic. I ~think~ the rule in chat is that we can't talk in detail about SI but we can talk about it generally - like things that help us not do it and giving each other encouragement. Like Windy said, having some tight guidelines could keep the topic chat on focus/topic and be a real encouragement to those of us who struggle with this.

I hope you'll consider it.

The issue of self harm is definately one that is pertinent for many of the members of this board. I don't doubt for a minute a chat like this would be a great help to many. We were fortunate enough to have Dr. Patti here because she and Haullie know one another personally. It would be wonderful to have more guest speakers of this caliber and it certainly is worth asking about, many of these authors are bombarded by requests, we can only hope that they have the time to share with us.

Also, talking about SI in chat is not an issue, talking about actually doing it, or coming into chat having severe urges and threatening to do it, or coming in after having done it is not allowed. General talk about SI struggles is allowed.

I don't want to step on Windy's toes (or anyone elses) but I'd be willing to write something up to ask him to do it. I haven't read the book yet (I've orderd it) but Windy and Snow have, and they could add in something from the book that touched them. Then maybe Nicole or one of the other moderators could add in something too. It could be a collaborative effort. Like someone said - it doesn't hurt to ask. AND.... there is a link on his website where you can request him to give a presentation, so obviously he does this thing sometimes. Besides how much easier can it get - he could do it from wherever. No travel required.

So.....Nicole (and other moderators) can we ask him? I mean I would hate to get him to say okay and then the mods here be against it.