Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

help im new

Guest Starr

Guest Starr

may *T*

Im 19 years old and trying to deal with my past. Im about to join a sexual assult program and i think im ready to take action. I think that it may be hard to go to work and go though the stress of the memories and opening them up. what programs could help me finacialy? im depressed, i dont know what kind.... im confused. i suffer from panic attacks... please help?

(((Starr))) I'm sorry for why you had to come here, but i am glad you found your way to this website. WElcome to After Silence. I hope you find healing and uspport as i have. I just joined group therapy about a month and a half ago. It is tough, but it has been so helpful in my healing. I was really scared too. I am in university, and so the group is run through the sexual assault program on campus... it's free of charge, so that really helps financially. I am so proud of you for wanting to seek help. That's a huge step! I wish i could tell you that there was a magic formula to make it all better...but i dont know of one... but i can tell you that we are all here for you. please let us know if you need anything. You are not alone. I am always confused and hurting too... though things have gotten a little better. I also have panic attacks. What helps me is to keep reminding myself that i am safe now... knowing what my triggers are...or at least some of them. Group therapy has worked wonders in helping me cope with stuff like panic attacks and coping mechanisms and stuff... it's been really good. I hope you will be able to find a group or a counsellor. *hugs* Continue to seek healing. We are here to support you all the way. Take care, sweetie.,

love clarissa

Guest Starr

thank you for replying. i was afraid that no one would. since i well be starting this program soon, it it possible to go on welfare or disability? i live in alberta. i need to make money some how and i dont think that i could work while going though this process, also my dad want me to press charges or somthing and im afraid to look at my uncle. i hate that word.

Hi starr,

wow, that's a lot to deal with right now! *hugs* I'm sorry that i am not too sure about welfare or disability. I am on student loans right now. Do you live at home? Because i know that one cannot even apply for a government student loan as an independent until they have been out of high school for 4 years. Are you in school right now? Can you apply for a scholarship or something? I really do not know about welfare or anything like that though... maybe i can ask someone for you. I'll let you know if i find anything. In the meantime, counselling can be partially covered through Alberta Blue Cross, but i am not sure about any other insurance. I am not sure which part of Alberta you are in... but i can maybe give you more details through a U2U... please let me know if there is anything you need, kay? I'm here for you.

love clarissa

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by Clarissa]

Guest Starr

im not in school....i had to drop out to take care of my dad when my step mom and sister left.i live with my boy friend..... he can sopport the both of us... i guess im just being spoiled.... i do have coverdge under my dads helth care....and i made an appointment to see some one on friday. im scared. iv gone for help before but never told because i was scared then last week i to a counciler and my dad made me tell. it was really hard

((((Starr))))Welcome to the group . I live in the States so I can't help much. What I can say is that I am on Disability here for 8yrs now and it really helps cuz there's No way I can work. There's No way I can even handle college, I had to drop out :( I don't know what Canada's policy is, sorry. I wish you the best :) You are very brave.

((9Starr))) I'm glad your boyfriend is so wonderful to you and your dad. I am sorry you are going through so much. I am glad you are getting help. I hope your consellor is wonderful. Let us know how it goes. I am so proud of you for speaking up. You are very strong. Take care, sweetie. Again, let me know if you ever need anything.

love clarissa