Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Why Is Search Flood Control Always On?

Very frustrated lately. I can't search for any of my posts because search flood control is always enabled no matter what time of day or night I try it. My posts get moved and I don't know why and can not find them, mainly because I can't search my own profile. If this can be changed, please do so.

Every once in a while this happens to me - as far as I know it has nothing to do with the site or it would happen to everyone at the same time - I have found the only way to stop it is to clear cookies/history/files - perhaps you could try that and see if it helps

karen

im having the same problem atm... ive deleted my cookies and history and all that, and I cant look up my own topics or posts?

I just checked and can look up all of mine - it may be a glitch that some people are experiencing?

karen

I get it when I use my mobile for the site. Possibly could be your browser?

On the subject...why do we have search flood control?!

I looked this up and after wading (pun intended) through all sorts of very interesting stuff on rivers and dams I found this - which explains flood control but not how to stop it

'Flood Control' on forums is a tool that the website uses to avoid users to post multiple times in a small time span. This is both to avoid accidental double-posts as well as avoid abuse by programs that would cause spam on the forum

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_mean...s#ixzz1PH48XM41

I believe it occurs to everyone on the site from time to time. It's nothing to do with what anyone here is doing when a search is being preformed. The only thing that would cause a flood control, which a user can control - is as described above, when too many posts are done in quick succession.

The flood control that occurs when you do a search usually relates to server loading, and are most likely going to occur if there's a large number of people on the server. The good thing about this is that server peaks usually pass quickly and things get back to normal again soon. I will research and see if there's any other reason that could be causing this and let you all know if I find anything.

Hope this helps

John

I still can't search for my own effing posts. Am getting extremely frustrated! It's been like this for several WEEKS for me no matter how many times I delete cookies or whatever the hell it still does this and will not allow me to look at my own posts. Not cool. -.-"

Edited by MidnightSunshine531
I still can't search for my own effing posts. Am getting extremely frustrated! It's been like this for several WEEKS for me no matter how many times I delete cookies or whatever the hell it still does this and will not allow me to look at my own posts. Not cool. -.-"

Can you please try a different browser?

Here are some suggestions as to what you can try:

• Mozilla
  • Internet Explorer
  • Google Chrome
  • Opera
  • Safari

All of which can be downloaded by going to Google and searching for there respective websites. Also if you're using Mac OSX you can use Safari, and Firefox is also available in Linux

John

i have tried both Google Chrome and IE, both of which still wont let me search my posts. Its been this way for a few days for me

• 2 weeks later...

is anyone still checking up on this?

i still cant search posts

Hi Ashley - Can you please try - when I occurs, to wait say 2 -3 min then click refresh, does that help at all?

The reason I ask is when I've had this happen with my searches previously I've done this and it helps fix it. Also I was able to just search your posts without any worries, but admittedly, I have tried to search your posts previously when you first posted about on 19th June, or other members posts and it's not worked, but by pressing refresh, even afew times after afew minutes it seems to "come good" as such, but I have also raised with other moderators for suggestions. Just give us abit of time to reply as it's been really busy recently :flowers:

:)

did you try deleting cookies? I have no idea if it is just a co-incedense but it seems to work for me

karen

Why can't I delete cookies on here?

that worked for me John, thank you :flowers:

Why can't I delete cookies on here?

Anna, Usually deleting cookies is done through the web browser settings, so it doesn't have anything to do with AS "per say" but is actually something you do in your web browser to delete them. There is a delete cookies link on AS down the bottom, however this is dependent on the permission setting in your browser. Can you try look up "How to delete cookies in (your browsers name)" in Google, it should give you some tutorials etc.

Also further to raising this issue, we've been doing some "tinkering" under the hood of AS (as such) which will hopefully reduce the prevalence of this issue, will let you know when said tinkering is completed :)

Hi All - was wondering if those who where having this issue previously could please see if it was still occurring now? Some "tinkering" under the hood of AS has occurred :P

it still does it to me, but like you said, if i wait a couple minutes and refresh, it works :)