Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Chat Room?

Ok.. this is totally random but totally has me thinking right now.

Say it was yourself and another member in chat.. only two people in chat. and the other member needs to talk about something you would find triggering or you know nothing about.

What do you do?

Do you stay in chat and risk the trigger.

Do you politely say I need to go now? and leave the member in chat alone?

or..

Do you ask to talk about something else?

Like what is one supposed to do in a situtation like this?

Told ywa this is random lol

WiTt

I think it is ok to take care of you first like the mods always say.

It was hard to write that because I know all of us have needs.

But you can't take care of someone else if you don't take care of you first.

I would be honest to the person if you can't help, if you are triggered yourself or if you can't relate to the topic.

Love,

Found

Hey Witty...

Keeping everything that Found said in mind, if you are willing to stay, I would suggest that you be honest with the person and maybe say something to the affect of "..I don't feel I'm in a place myself to be able to handle this level of a conversation but I would be happy to stay here with you and offer a distraction if you like?" That is of course if you are able to stay and talk about something else.

One phrase, "Nice weather we're having, Eh?"

I'm kidding.

I do agree with both Found and Callie on this. You gotta take care of YOU first. . .

Personally, there are a few times where I must leave out of the blue, usually for work. . .I never want to leave anyone hanging. Honesty is always the best way to go.

One phrase, "Nice weather we're having, Eh?"

LOL oh yeah...forgot about the "hows the weather" comment.

:hug::hug::hug: WiTt

Found

I also agree that if someone starts a conversation you feel uncomfortable with and there is just the two of you then it is ok to politely say that you cannot talk about that subject - you could suggest they post in the appropriate forum - and say you are happy to talk about anything else until someone else comes in who maybe able to talk about it with them

karen

• 1 month later...

There has been on one occassion that I can remember. Last halloween there were 2 rooms, 1 for general things, 1 for the people who had an extremely hard time during that time of year.

I assume that it can be expensive to have 2 chat rooms available. Hopefully a Mod or an Administrator reads this post. If not, may I suggest you message one of them? I'm sure they would give you better answers on that.

Found

There a few reasons that we do not have two chat rooms running at all times. The first is that we do not have enough staff to run two chat rooms, the other is only a mod can open a second chat room with our chat software so there for a mod would have to be in the room 24/7 in order for it to stay open and unfortunately that is just not possible.

Hope that answers your question :flowers:

Sad

Also, it can happen that people gravitate to one room.

If people don't want to talk about things that upset/trigger, they'd go into the normal room. Sometimes people would come into the serious-talk room to talk, and when they were finished, just go back to the other room. That would mean that there aren't enough people in the room to support someone.

We have a lot of rules for chat just now - they have mostly been asked for by members, and are all in place for everyone's safety. I think having 2 rooms with different sets of rules could be very confusing for everyone!

Rosi