Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Emergency Self-Soothing Kit And Crisis Survival Strategies

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Bump" sign means that I bumped it so it would be noticeable and stand out among the posts because I think this post could be helpful for many people and otherwise, it tends to get buried.

Hope that makes sense NorskyCourtney :)

• 2 months later...

Oh wow. I've been away from AS for a good while and I didn't realize how many people would find this helpful. I'm glad that you all like the suggestions. :)

• 1 month later...

I finally bought a mobility aid so that when I am badly disassociated (when I disassociate I have a very hard time moving) I can get to self-soothing items. I have objects to bite, things that make noise, things to squeeze on, a blanket, children's books, paper and pens, etc.

It took me a long time to get to where I could soothe at all, to where I had enough sensation to experience the outer world with my senses at the same intensity as I experience my inner world. It began with brief moments of peace that gradually infused my world with the knowledge that peace really is everywhere, all the time. Now when I am very upset, I can seek out these things. It is also very empowering to know that I can get from place to place if I need to.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for bumping, Ally. I'm going to post some things on here.

- Japanese Mint Essential Oil (rubbing it on my temples is instantaneously a sleep aid for me, and very relaxing I've found)

- Deciding on what to bake and cook (both are very grounding; even just planning on making a meal can instantly cheer me up and ground me)

- Yoga is the best darned thing on this planet, I'm convinced

Haha I was having a real bad day on Tuesday and went to yoga thinking it would relax me. It was torture! I find I feel all my old injuries intently and have to occupy my body too much. On the other hand I went to high cardio combat on Wednesday and it was awesome, amazing, perfect for what I needed. Just different exercise can work differently! I wish I could enjoy yoga more, I love the concepts. Going to keep at it.

Now heading back to read some other self soothing ideas, I love this thread.

Edited by euca

Yoga can be very gentle also.

I say go at your own pace and match your own level of comfort. Doing this has greatly improved our sense of well being and does not leave us feeling worn out and in pain or exhausted.

Edited by ActivistAlly

The following has to do with self-compassion. Video part 1 is below and has to do with giving ourselves compassion.

I really love this video below which is about self-kindness. Very very helpful for me.

There are more part to this video series but I'll let you find the links if you enjoy those two...

Another page that has these videos and more...

http://meditationtechniques.co/meditation-techniques-for-self-compassion-video/

Edited by ActivistAlly
  • 1 month later...

:bump: I especially want to guide folks to the first page of this thread which has WONDERFUL information to helping to calm down and get grounded while in crisis and how to prepare for those moments ahead of time. You can hop right to that first page by clicking here http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=98862&page=1

:)

Edited by ActivistAlly

:bump: I especially want to guide folks to the first page of this thread which has WONDERFUL information to helping to calm down and get grounded while in crisis and how to prepare for those moments ahead of time. You can hop right to that first page by clicking here http://www.aftersilence.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=98862&page=1

:)

What I said above..this is good for those in crisis with flashbacks or intruding thoughts and especially the first page of the post at the link is full of tactics to help ground and calm yourself during a crisis. :)

• 1 month later...