Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Really Struggling

Naz

Hi

I'm new to the forum. I am 23 years old and I am really struggling coming to terms with abuse suffered when I was younger. I'm not sure what to say really. I'm just wondering if this is ever going to get any better or I will carry this around me for the rest of my life. I struggle with being touched by a man even if the contact is just a hug or arm around my shoulders, its hard to explain that in a relationship.

I seem to have be having one of those sleepless nights where I just think too much about everything....

Hi and welcome to AS. I wish I had the answers to your questions but just as the experiences that have brought us here are different, so are the ways that we heal from them.

I can relate to the struggle when being touched, on the first date with the man that is now my husband he put his hand at the lower part of my back as he helped me into his truck and I almost lost it right then and there. I've learned ways over the years to controll my reactions but it isn't always easy.

I'm always willing to listen if you want to talk.

Lissa

Hi! Welcome to AS. I can tell you whats happened/happening with me. Its been nearly three years since my attack and Ive finally gotten to a place where I can think about it. Its..how to explain...its a part of me,my life,my soul. A dark ugly thread in the tapestry that is me. I hope,for you,that someday you find peace. It hasnt quite happened for me but Im slowly getting there.

Hey,

As someone who was also abused as a child and throughout my entire life so far, I can honestly say that things always seem to get worse before they get better. It wasn't until last year when I admitted to myself what happened to me when I was 8. It's not an easy journey when coming to terms with yourself and accepting what happened, but it does get easier to handle the more you are willing to work through it. The best advice I can give is to stay strong, smile even when it hurts, and carry on. I wish you the best on your journey, and it's ok to ask for help along the way...

I never thought I would be able to accept what happened to me or be able to walk around being free of it, and to be honest I think we will carry some scars forever... But at some point they will just be scars, not an awful festering sore full of big, scary emotions about what happened...

Anyway I know for me AS has been a huge support in my journey and it is a relief to have a place to be surrounded by people who understand, don't judge and can often offer helpful advice. I hope you find the same warmth and support here as I have

~Leah~

Hi there.

Welcome to AS.

I hope you find this site to be helpful.

Very nice to meet you.

Found