Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Just Joined

Hovis

Thought after counselling I had got through the trauma of the abuse which started sixty three years ago. Whilst visiting the nurse recently regarding my diabetes and my comfort eating, I was told that I would have stop in my condition. This has caused a return to flashbacks which are more intense and more frequent, because I am being told that I can no get the comfort from what I eat. This has really taken by surprise as I thought they were now a thing of the past, and I am feeling it really difficult to cope.I work in a situation where I support and counsel people in the same situation annd all I want is to be able to get back to work.

Hi Hovis and welcome! I'm sorry you've had to come here when you thought you had dealt with things, but I hope you find the comfort and healing you need here. :flowers:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I hope you are finding your way around the boards ok.

Found

Thanks for all your messages, it helps to know that there are other people that understand what you are going through

Thanks for all your messages, it helps to know that there are other people that understand what you are going through
You are so very welcome.

Thinking of you.

Found

Hello Hovis, welcome to AS :flowers:

I must admit I can relate to the fear that not being able to comfort eat is bringing you - I'm sure it must have come as a hell of a surprise to find all this stuff come back up after so many years - It sounds like the comfort eating has been a coping mechanism that has worked for you very well indeed for a long time now

I am glucose intolerant - which apparently is the stage before diabetes so I too know I have to lose weight - I really feel for ya

I am determined to lose weight though I have very little faith in my being able to do it - As even the thought of not being able to eat is something I have avoided like the plague - So I am not ever so good at dealing with that thought!

I am attempting to learn to really enjoy foods that just so happen to be better for me, and attempting to mkove just a bit more than I was - I was diagnosed with Labyrinthitis late last year and for months the slightest movement left me so dizzy and nauseous I would have to lie down for hours - I am much better now though still have problems with that - So my goals for getting me to move more have been incredibly small!

It's amazing that you are helping and counselling people in the same situation and I can understand you wanting to get back to that - I does sound like you need some really good support for you too just now

I really hope it is ok to ask, what have the nurses said? That certain foods are banned? Or that you must stick to a certain amount of food?

And apologies, i am sure you don't want to hear all about me!

All the very best, and I hope to see you around the forums :flowers:

I must admit I can relate to the fear that not being able to comfort eat is bringing you - I'm sure it must have come as a hell of a surprise to find all this stuff come back up after so many years - It sounds like the comfort eating has been a coping mechanism that has worked for you very well indeed for a long time now

I am glucose intolerant - which apparently is the stage before diabetes so I too know I have to lose weight - I really feel for ya

I am determined to lose weight though I have very little faith in my being able to do it - As even the thought of not being able to eat is something I have avoided like the plague - So I am not ever so good at dealing with that thought!

I am attempting to learn to really enjoy foods that just so happen to be better for me, and attempting to mkove just a bit more than I was - I was diagnosed with Labyrinthitis late last year and for months the slightest movement left me so dizzy and nauseous I would have to lie down for hours - I am much better now though still have problems with that - So my goals for getting me to move more have been incredibly small!

It's amazing that you are helping and counselling people in the same situation and I can understand you wanting to get back to that - I does sound like you need some really good support for you too just now

I really hope it is ok to ask, what have the nurses said? That certain foods are banned? Or that you must stick to a certain amount of food?

Hi,

many thanks for your reply, it is so good to be able to talk to someone who understands what you are going through. When I went to visit my sister overseas in may and june I realised that due to the sciatica I have had over the past year I had put on a lot of weight. Just before i went they had found out that a major cause of the pain was the fact that my right left is shorter than my left. They fitted a lift in my shoe and this enabled me to walk and swim every day. I was also careful about what i was eating and have managed to lose almost a stone so far.

I was already on a low fat diet for my high cholesterol,but most low fat foods are very high in sugar. At the moment they are hoping to be able to control it by diet and i know that I can do this as long as I can get back to work and exercise. I always find it helps me when i am dieting to only look at the next half a stone, as this seems less daunting than thinking i have to lose at least another 4 stone. despite the book given to me by the first nurse says just to follow a healthy diet she said that everything should be low in sugar, which is difficult when you are looking at low fat. I think as well the fact that I have gone down a dress size will help. I have realized over the years that many nurses even n the mental health field do not understand depression. The second nurse told me about the site myfitnesspal which enables you to keep a food diary where they work out the calories you have consumed each day and your expected weight. I at least feel That I can communicate with her. I will be seeing her tomorrow as i have to have a pneumonia injection.

Last night was a bit better than some I have had recently with only a couple of flashbacks. When i was doing my counselling training I did an essay on child sexual abuse and used a book called 'breaking free'.I had also bought the workbook. When I was looking for a help line that was available in the early hours I saw these books mentioned. the following day I found them and have been using the section on flashbacks. I am sure that this helped me to recover quicker. My doctor reffered me to a cbt counsellor but the earliest they think they can see me will be in four or five weeks. I really don't want to have that much time off work and their process will be fairly lengthy. I see my doctor on wednesday and hope he will give me a couple more weeks as I do not feel ready to return yet, and I am determined not to feel guilty that my fellow workers are having to cover my shifts.Anyway will just have to see what he suggests.

Had a couple of lapses over the weekend, but only had one cream cake whereas I would have had three in the past, so its a step in the right direction, i have aalso started enjoying having salads for my main meal. I am going to go swimming with my son and grandchildren this week which should be good fun and something to look forward to.

many thanks for sharing your own health problems with me and I will be here for you if you want some support. Whilst i have not have had labrytitus I have also been having aproblem with my blood pressure dropping when i am standing causing me to almost pass out. It really knocked my confidence for six, but it is coming back now that i know my blood pressure is more stable

keep in touch

Hovis

Hello luv :)

It's really nice for me to able to talk to someone about all this that understands too! You poor luv, sciatica is the worst pain I have ever experienced! really completely terrible! I really do hope that this isn't bothering you so much any more? - I feel really lucky to say it was only a problem for a me for a couple of months and touch wood it hasn't bothered me for quite a long time now

It's great that they figured out one of your legs was shorter - sound like the lift has really helped a lot? That's the thing with conditions like this - it becomes near impossible to keep active and so muscle mass drops etc etc. That is so great too that you have managed to lose a stone already and I am sure that the fact you have gone down a dress size will definately help :)

I have to be very careful of my sugar intake too - actually any carbs at all are a bit of a problem for me - If I have carbs for breakfast or lunch I'll often be incapable of staying awake all day - so now try and limit them to evenings - Wierdly though - the fact that carbs make me so exhausted is actually helping to put me off them a bit

So funny you should mention myfitnesspal - I joined a couple of weeks ago and really really like it so far! It's simple to use and actually motivates me as well which is no mean feat :P

It is really good to hear that last night was a bit easier than some have been lately, I'm sure you need flashbacks like a hole in the head what with everything else going on too. I hope things will continue to improve for you and that the CBT will help too - I really loved CBT, I hope you will too

I agree about health professionals often not understanding depression, it can feel quite hurtful can't it - Agree too that any step in the right direction as far as diet etc is a good step

Can't help thinking that what that nurse said to you was actually really counter productive - can understand why that put you into a panic so much

Is lovely to meet you luv, keep in touch too ok

All the best :flowers:

It's really nice for me to able to talk to someone about all this that understands too! You poor luv, sciatica is the worst pain I have ever experienced! really completely terrible! I really do hope that this isn't bothering you so much any more? - I feel really lucky to say it was only a problem for a me for a couple of months and touch wood it hasn't bothered me for quite a long time now

It's great that they figured out one of your legs was shorter - sound like the lift has really helped a lot? That's the thing with conditions like this - it becomes near impossible to keep active and so muscle mass drops etc etc. That is so great too that you have managed to lose a stone already and I am sure that the fact you have gone down a dress size will definately help :)

I have to be very careful of my sugar intake too - actually any carbs at all are a bit of a problem for me - If I have carbs for breakfast or lunch I'll often be incapable of staying awake all day - so now try and limit them to evenings - Wierdly though - the fact that carbs make me so exhausted is actually helping to put me off them a bit

So funny you should mention myfitnesspal - I joined a couple of weeks ago and really really like it so far! It's simple to use and actually motivates me as well which is no mean feat :P

It is really good to hear that last night was a bit easier than some have been lately, I'm sure you need flashbacks like a hole in the head what with everything else going on too. I hope things will continue to improve for you and that the CBT will help too - I really loved CBT, I hope you will too

I agree about health professionals often not understanding depression, it can feel quite hurtful can't it - Agree too that any step in the right direction as far as diet etc is a good step

Can't help thinking that what that nurse said to you was actually really counter productive - can understand why that put you into a panic so much

Hi everybody

Had a much better night last, more sleep and fewer flashbacks, which were shorter and less intense,so feeling much more able to cope with the day ahead.All your support has really helped. It is the first time in over sixty years that I haven't had to face it on my own, and it has really helped me cope these last few days

Many thanks and best wishes

Is really good to hear that last night was a little easier, really hope that trend continues

Had a flashback earlier but managed to pull myself out of it quit quickly, so hopefully tonight will be no worst than last night. Saw the new nurswe today to have my pneumonia injection, and we talked about the flashbacks. She gave me an English url which is connected to the National Health service and you can connect up with your own GP, but will talk to my doctor about this when I see him tomorrow. I am hoping he will give me a couple more weeks off work, as I dont feel that I can cope with other peoples problems whilst I am still having the flashbacks.

Thank you for your support-it is really great and the first time that I haven't had to cope with all the emotions on my own

Goodnight and God bless

Hi everybody

Had a much better night last, more sleep and fewer flashbacks, which were shorter and less intense,so feeling much more able to cope with the day ahead.All your support has really helped. It is the first time in over sixty years that I haven't had to face it on my own, and it has really helped me cope these last few days

Glad to hear that last night was better.

Also glad we can support you.

you are not alone.

Always here for ya.

Found

Hi everybody

Glad to hear that last night was better.

Also glad we can support you.

you are not alone.

Always here for ya.

Found

Only a couple of flashbacks again last night and only short, so much more able to cope with than they were. Thanks again for the support and hugs

Am ever so pleased that they have calmed a little for you :)

Saw the doctor this afternoon and told him about the flashbacks. His response'' are you free in the morning' puzzled me until he said that they happened to have a councellor available if I wanted to talk to her. Couldn't believe my luck, as the people he had referred me to said it would be four or five weeks at the earliest. Really feel my prayers have been answered. he has also given me a couple of weeks off work, because I could not cope with everyone else's problems at the moment. Will let you know how things go.

Thanks for the support

Oh that is really good news, I have gone all goosebumpy! Is so nice when we find a doctor that listens and respects what we have to say :throb: Let us know how you get on tm,

best wishes :)

Oh that is really good news, I have gone all goosebumpy! Is so nice when we find a doctor that listens and respects what we have to say :throb: Let us know how you get on tm,

best wishes :)

Had about four hours sleep last night before they started so I am feeling brighter this morning,also although they woke me up five times,they were not as bad as they have been. Glad that I will be able to talk about it later,and afterwards we are taking the grandchildren swimming. I will try and get time there to swim a few lengths on my own, because then I am completely relaxed.Thanks for the support, it has really helped. Will let you know how its goes later.