Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Uncertain About All This...

Hi, I'm not sure how to introduce myself and I'm not sure if this is the right place, so I apologize if this falls in the wrong category. I'm a young guy from South Africa and trying to come to terms with an assault that happened towards the end of last year. I haven't told any of my family or friends about it and even though I'd like to think that I'm ok and that I'll manage, truth is my life is falling apart and I don't know how to stop it. I've joined this forum about a week ago... haven't posted anything on it yet but I need to take a step. I'm not sure what I hope to find here, at this point I suppose I'm just desperate.

Welcome stokes! I hope you find the support and healing you need here.

Thank you, I appreciate your welcomes... my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest when I wrote my first post. I don't know why, but it was a massive step for me. I'm not sure where I should go or what my next steps should be on this forum... I've read some posts, but I don't think I'm in any position to give anyone any advice right now, as for myself, I could probably use some, if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

If you feel like sharing your story straight away, you could head over to the "share your story" section. As you don't have 10 posts yet, you'll need to request a password from a moderator. Don't feel you have to do that straight away though, there's no pressure at all. In the "Survivor Connections" forum there's a special subsection for male survivors (also password protected), which might be of interest to you. Otherwise, if you're not wanting to post details but want to get a bit of support, you could try the "Gathering Place " or "The Aftermath " sections. There's a bit of overlap, so it probably won't matter where you post. If it's vastly out of scope, your post will be moved to the right section. Don't be afraid to post on other people's threads either. I know it's hard when you don't know what to advise (I often don't) but often people are just looking to know someone's out there supporting them, even if you don't have any advice as such to give. :)

If you feel like sharing your story straight away, you could head over to the "share your story" section. As you don't have 10 posts yet, you'll need to request a password from a moderator. Don't feel you have to do that straight away though, there's no pressure at all. In the "Survivor Connections" forum there's a special subsection for male survivors (also password protected), which might be of interest to you. Otherwise, if you're not wanting to post details but want to get a bit of support, you could try the "Gathering Place " or "The Aftermath " sections. There's a bit of overlap, so it probably won't matter where you post. If it's vastly out of scope, your post will be moved to the right section. Don't be afraid to post on other people's threads either. I know it's hard when you don't know what to advise (I often don't) but often people are just looking to know someone's out there supporting them, even if you don't have any advice as such to give. :)

Thanks for the pointers Amaris. I found the male survivors section and have started reading some of them. I'll take this one step at a time and figure things out as I go along.

Hi there.

Welcome to AS.

I hope you find this site to be helpful.

Found

Hi Stokes,

Welcome to AS. I'm really really sorry that you had to find AS and wish the circumstances were different, but we're all glad to meet you. Please know that you're making a huge huge step by joining this forum and discussing what has happened to you with other members. I know how difficult it can be having to keep things pent up. We're always here for you if you need to talk. :)

Hi Stokes,

Welcome to AS. I'm really really sorry that you had to find AS and wish the circumstances were different, but we're all glad to meet you. Please know that you're making a huge huge step by joining this forum and discussing what has happened to you with other members. I know how difficult it can be having to keep things pent up. We're always here for you if you need to talk. :)

Thank you, I appreciate your encouragement...

Hi Stokes, welcome to AS :flowers:

I am really sorry that you are struggling so much at the moment. I can relate very much to trying to carry on as if everything were fine and then finding your life falls apart, I am sure many many here will be able to aswell

I also know what you mean about it being a huge step to post here - I don't exactly understand it but it is a huge step so bravo to you for that

I am very glad that you found this place and agree with what everyone else has said about good first steps here

For me I found it (and still do) very difficult to read or post in Share your story, so i tend to stick tot the other forums. Gathering place is definately a good place if you want to reach out for support without necessarily sharing your whole story

And when I'm too nervous even for that I will tend to stick to the humour and sillinew / amusement alcove / simply life / healing tips forums

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help getting around the forums, I'd be glad to help

All the best :)