Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Just A Question - It May Be A Silly Question But...

Dear Happy Workers on AS,

Thank you for making this place a safe one an for all the work you do!

This is much appreciated.

I just have one question. Cause it is kind of bothering me.

I have just noticed that another former member is/was a "member issue". You know the notice in news and updates.

"bad intentions" - What bad intentions can someone have joining a support website? how can someone look for this kind of website, join and have bad intentions? My question is not directed to a particular person or about a particular person, it is a general question.

I don't understand. I understand people having survived this kind of things and looking for support and finding this website. I understand people doing their best to support their loved ones who had survived and looking for information to how best support them and finding this website.

But I do not understand how can someone specifically be looking for this kind of website with bad intentions in their mind? What are they looking for? What do they want to do?

Any clue? Any answers? How to prevent that?

sorry, my question might be or sound silly or too much complicated to answer but after seeing this again it just poped into my head - this questioning.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for your reply/ies if that's possible to be answered!

Take care!

Tiang

:unsure:

Tiang is wondering if the happy workers have seen her post. ???

thank you.

Tiang, these are wonderful questions! I, too, have been wondering the same things. It scares me a lot when I see that someone joins AS with bad intentions, and I would really like to know what I can do to prevent this from happening as well. There are so many people in the outside world who are scary, so I think of this website as my "safe place." Thank you for asking these questions...I wanted to ask something similar, but didn't quite know how to word it :)

To rain and all thoses wondering about this question.

My best guess is AS are trying to prevent Ppl from coming on here who might actually enjoy reading survivors post for their own sick pleasure and I also believe from Ppl who discriminate against Ppl who have been victimized and generally just to make a place we all feel comfortable and safe. But as i imagine someone with 'bad intentions' would be a perp looking for kicks. I wouldn't worry too much they have the site set up well to prevent these things. I don't know if I'm right on my assumptions cause I'm just assuming lol that is what is implied by someone with 'bad intentions'.

I have not met anyone on here to date that has 'bad intentions' as this was a major concern of mine when I joined but everyone is just very kind an supportive. But like I said AS are doing a marvelous job and I just want to say Thankyou for creating this site for us all to share in and find comfort, peace and strength in eachother.

'Bad intentions' is a broad generalization that they use to avoid getting into specific reasons.

I assume this can include anything from someone who is needy/demanding to the point of causing distress to multiple members. Someone who may have severe emotional/mental issues. Or someone who may not be a survivor at all. And that criteria in itself can range from someone simply wanting the attention involved, someone who may quite literally get a thrill from reading other's stories or even someone who is a perp themselves. Though I feel it's necessary to add that people like that may very well actually be survivors.

It all comes down to what the moderators and admins consider 'bad intentions'.

Whenever we deal with an issue with a member, we do so in private, so we don't release the specific details to the board, this is out of respect for the member(s) concerned, even if a specific member has been banned, it's also out of respect for others (members, moderators, other staff) who may have been involved, however we don't label someone as having bad intention, lightly. Please remember we only ban someone if they pose a serious safety risk to the board, and only do so, if we can't work out with them some way they can stay at the board, without posing a safety risk.

As a general rule, someone with bad intention, as in the announcement we made earlier this week in regards to Andrew7, is someone who is looking to have contact with members here for the purpose of inhibiting (stopping or reversing) their healing, rather then furthering it as is our aim as a website. We never say someone has bad intentions for an isolated issue, but rather that they're generally a risk to this message boards purposes of healing, and it's member community as a whole.

In the world we live in, we get all sorts of people, from very good, to very bad, and the reality of AS being an online medium means we are, from time to time, going to get people from all parts of that good-bad spectrum. That is why we monitor this board very heavily, to ensure that when a member does have bad intentions they're able to be dealt with swiftly to ensure the overall safety of the board. We have a staff team who all work very hard, and in unison to keep this place as safe as possible for everyone here, this is also why we have the guidelines we have, and why we monitor the members to ensure the guidelines are follow to ensure everyone here is kept safe.

If anybody has any questions or concerns about there online safety, whether in regards to this weeks announcement or any other concern please don't hesitate to contact myself or any moderator.