Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Curosity

Hi Mousie,

For me, I didnt choose my T, he chose me. He was my intake person, and when he heard my history, he kept me because he specialized in trauma.

It was the most beneficial thing I ever did. I learned a lot, healed a lot... I would recommend a GOOD T to anyone :)

Ashley

my mom found my T, and i had gone to a few before this one but I didn't really have a good connection with them and I just wasn't ready to share. I guess this one just happened at the right time and it was all on my own time. I wasn't being forced to go to therapy.

but this one has helped me TREMENDOUSLY, I can't even begin to say. I'm still seeing her and she's continuing to help me heal and i feel as comfortable as I possibly could telling her such personal info, so I would definitely recommend a good T that you feel especially comfortable will as well.

If you don't feel a connection and you just don't feel like one T is right for you, there are many many more wonderful T's out there for you to try

:flowers: :flowers:

Hi Mousie,

For me, I didnt choose my T, he chose me. He was my intake person, and when he heard my history, he kept me because he specialized in trauma.

It was the most beneficial thing I ever did. I learned a lot, healed a lot... I would recommend a GOOD T to anyone :)

Ashley

Thank you for your encouragement. I AM SO SCARED! What am I doing??? I have to change tho. I am the only person left in my family. My dad and brother are in prison for rape and murder. My sister committed suicide. And my mom passed away last oct.

my mom found my T, and i had gone to a few before this one but I didn't really have a good connection with them and I just wasn't ready to share. I guess this one just happened at the right time and it was all on my own time. I wasn't being forced to go to therapy.

but this one has helped me TREMENDOUSLY, I can't even begin to say. I'm still seeing her and she's continuing to help me heal and i feel as comfortable as I possibly could telling her such personal info, so I would definitely recommend a good T that you feel especially comfortable will as well.

If you don't feel a connection and you just don't feel like one T is right for you, there are many many more wonderful T's out there for you to try

:flowers: :flowers:

Thank you for the encouragement. I know I must do this or I will be eaten up but I AM SCARED!!!

:comfort::bighug:

You will do great. It's always scarry at first just make sure you click with the T and are comfortable. My first T my mother found and I realized one day after seeing her on and off for ten years she wasn't helping me. When I started marriage counseling I felt very comfortable with her and we clicked. So I asked her if she would be my T. It has made a huge difference in my healing.

What made you choose the T you did? And was/is it a beneficial experience?

I don't really have much choice.

When I finally told my husband about the flashbacks, etc and told him I needed help, we contacted a therapist he had seen before for work-related issues.

But she's a private therapist and our insurance doesn't cover much for therapy sessions. I went to her for one session and felt positive afterwards, but kind of felt uncomfortable going to her because she's seen my husband and because I'm involved in some of the same community groups she is...

I had to go to my doctor to get a referral so our insurance would maybe cover it and she referred me to the community mental health people - which is free through our medical coverage.

So I went there. And my intake counsellor saw me twice - she wanted me to come back for extra help for the flashbacks. And now she's referred me to a therapist in the same town my parents are in because the waitlist is too long in my town. But if I can get into the system, I can bypass the waitlist and later have my files transferred back to my town....

So basically I'm probably going to wind up seeing three or four different therapists...which I'm sure will be ver frustrating and confusing. The positive side is that I'll see different styles and personalities and maybe later can decide who I'm most comfortable with and pursue ongoing therapy with that person.

Maybe...

I do know that it's not easy to "shop around" for a therapist. Everytime you have to tell someone else the whole thing again it's just another pressurised moment.... I can't imagine doing all this switching around on purpose, though I do know some people recommend trying different therapists to see who you're most comfortable with. I just can't see that being easy...

What made you choose the T you did? And was/is it a beneficial experience?

I don't really have much choice.

When I finally told my husband about the flashbacks, etc and told him I needed help, we contacted a therapist he had seen before for work-related issues.

But she's a private therapist and our insurance doesn't cover much for therapy sessions. I went to her for one session and felt positive afterwards, but kind of felt uncomfortable going to her because she's seen my husband and because I'm involved in some of the same community groups she is...

I had to go to my doctor to get a referral so our insurance would maybe cover it and she referred me to the community mental health people - which is free through our medical coverage.

So I went there. And my intake counsellor saw me twice - she wanted me to come back for extra help for the flashbacks. And now she's referred me to a therapist in the same town my parents are in because the waitlist is too long in my town. But if I can get into the system, I can bypass the waitlist and later have my files transferred back to my town....

So basically I'm probably going to wind up seeing three or four different therapists...which I'm sure will be ver frustrating and confusing. The positive side is that I'll see different styles and personalities and maybe later can decide who I'm most comfortable with and pursue ongoing therapy with that person.

Maybe...

I do know that it's not easy to "shop around" for a therapist. Everytime you have to tell someone else the whole thing again it's just another pressurised moment.... I can't imagine doing all this switching around on purpose, though I do know some people recommend trying different therapists to see who you're most comfortable with. I just can't see that being easy...

I understand. I freeze up easily.

:comfort::bighug:

You will do great. It's always scarry at first just make sure you click with the T and are comfortable. My first T my mother found and I realized one day after seeing her on and off for ten years she wasn't helping me. When I started marriage counseling I felt very comfortable with her and we clicked. So I asked her if she would be my T. It has made a huge difference in my healing.

Thanks for the encouragement. All I want is complete healing.