Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello, New Supporter

Hi,

I found this forum while searching for some support and guidance for my wife and I. She is a survivor of early childhood sexual abuse inflicted by an uncle. As if that wasnt enough, she suffered abuse as a teen after being drugged. I have discovered after 9 years of marraige that her family has either denied or offered no help to her and she now has very deep wounds that have never really been dealt with. We have spoken about this and feel its time to begin the healing and could use any help or advice. I look forward to become a member of this community.

Bryan

Hi Bryan

Welcome to AS. Like you, my husband and I reached the decision together to start getting help. I spent a lot of time on this forum, starting seeing a counsellor and began reading books about the subject; the books helped me get my head around it all.

A good book for your wife might be 'Right to Innocence' by Beverley Engel or 'The Courage to Heal' by Bass and Davies. She also does one for prosurvivors (you) which I think is called 'Living with the legacy of abuse'. It was the first book my husband bought; I read it too and it helped me understand myself so much better.

All the best as you start this brave journey together - remember to reach out to others as you will need support for yourself as you support her, and if she is ready to think about seeing a therapist, that will really help her too. Mine is a godsend.

Eagle

Hi there.

Welcome to AS.

I hope you find this site to be helpful.

Found

I hope you are finding your way around the boards ok.

Found

Hi,

I found this forum while searching for some support and guidance for my wife and I. She is a survivor of early childhood sexual abuse inflicted by an uncle. As if that wasnt enough, she suffered abuse as a teen after being drugged. I have discovered after 9 years of marraige that her family has either denied or offered no help to her and she now has very deep wounds that have never really been dealt with. We have spoken about this and feel its time to begin the healing and could use any help or advice. I look forward to become a member of this community.

Bryan

Hy Bryan, I can really identify with your wife. I hope she gets the courage she needs. I think thats what I'm looking for.

hi bryan and welcome to AS, im so pleased you have found this site, my name is nemmie and im a member of the newbie support team so if you have any questions feel free to contact me,

its wonderful to see such a supporting husband seeking advise, im sorry her family never supported her through her auful ordeal, maybe it would be a good idea for her to join this site too, and maybe to see a therapist if she is willing, i do hope ye both heal through this journey

nemmie

Thanks everyone,

it has been refreshing to hear from all of you, and I anticipate being there for you as well. I have already seen so many all too familiar stories that are very much related to how my wife feels now. I just hope that it all helps understanding and the healing process for her. The hardest part for me is seeing her live this life with no passion, just getting through the days and progressively slipping into the darker side of life. Shes such a good soul and i know she has much more to offer to herself and this world. I mistook her depression for what was originallyu thought to be postpartum, by the doctors of course who just wanted to medicate her. Recently she has told me that she has felt this way for nearly as long as she can remember, felt as if she never meant much to anyone in her life. This is why I am here and I thank you all.