Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Second Forum Open For Christmas?

Hey, I know this has been brought up before, but I was wondering what the verdict is on opening a second room for Christmas. To alot of members this is a hard time of year, and to avoid triggering people with holiday stuff, but also not silencing other members, I thought it might be a good idea to have one room where you can talk about christmas and share about your day and stuff, and in another you're not allowed to. I know a mod has to be in the room, but aren't there any athiest or mods of other faiths who dont celebrate christmas available? Even if it was just open for 3-4 hours, I think it would help some people. :shrug:

Thanks for your post - I am sure that if a chat mod is available they can open a second room - but it might be very hit and miss - or they might be limited by time etc.

I will pass on your thoughts though

karen

I think that no matter what is said could be potentially triggering. I think we all need to go in there and take care of ourselves, and be sensitive to others needs as well. Very good idea thoug,

Found

I'll throw a party if they get an atheist mod (or already have one that's apparently ninja)

Why does the mod have to be athiest? I'm Christian and I can keep a room open without mentioning Christmas.

A problem we had last time was that the rules were unclear and people didn't know whether they were allowed to mention Hallowe'en (as it was last time) at all, or if they were only allowed to mention it in a 'seeking support' way.

The message doesn't get to a lot of people, so people come in the room and whoever is the mod will have to explain that there is no Christmas to be mentioned and that defeats the point.

I may open it if I am in for an hour or something, if there is a call for it, but I can't promise anything.

Another problem was that everyone was congregating in the second room and people who were needing support couldn't get it, as the people who were in a place to support had come into the second room because that's where most people were.

Rosi

I'll throw a party if they get an atheist mod (or already have one that's apparently ninja)

Why, Shido? Is there something wrong with the mods having their own religion? I don't understand how believing there is no god makes someone a better mod?

I'm guessing you may have made reference to mods' not celebrating Christmas thinking that then someone would be available to open the room since they wouldn't be celebrating the holiday. Or am I way off base?

If my celebrations end early, I may be around to open one up for awhile.

Yeah Kelly, thats all I meant.

Sorry possum, I didn't mean any offense, I just didn't want any mods who celebrate christmas being drawn away from their families. I'm Christian too if that means anything. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound prejudiced.

Why, Shido? Is there something wrong with the mods having their own religion? I don't understand how believing there is no god makes someone a better mod?

Good point Possum.

Edited by lost~then~found

It is best to leave it up to the individual mod themselves - as wolfie is already try to organise making sure someone is in chat all the time - it may actually make it more difficult trying to keep two rooms going and have someone in them both.

I will close this thread for now

karen