Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Abbreviations - Just Not Getting Some Of Them!

Hi everyone,

I haven't been a member very long and although i can work some of the abbreviations out i am struggling to know what some of them mean and dont want to cause offence if i use them in the wrong way! Does anyone know of a page on here that someone has listed them on or whether one can be made?! Or maybe even some of you can write them on here so i know for future reference?!

I also just want to say thanks for everyone's warm welcome and caring attitudes, it has made me feel very cared about and safe when i am here :flowers: It is great to be somewhere where people understand!

OTJ x

Hey OTJ, welcome to AS. I am sorry for why you're here but am glad you reached out for help.

I don't know of a page with all the acronyms. Maybe we can do that with this thread?

Some of the most common ones here on AS (including the chat room):

BBL - Be Back Later

BBS - Be Back Soon

TTYL - Talk To You Later

TGC / TVGC - Take Good Care / Take Very Good Care

LOL - Laugh Out Loud

ATM - Either At The Moment or the cash machine

Well, can't think of any others atm. Got one not already listed?

Thanks for the welcome Po!

The only ones i have kind of guessed are a bit less light hearted to the ones you posted! Dunno if that constitutes a trigger warning (TW!) or not but here goes:

si = self injury

csa = childhood sexual abuse (i think)

ed = eating disorder

su = suicide

t = therapist (i also think!)

Thats all i can think of at the minute but i will add some more as i find them out!

OTJ x

IDK - I don't know

HB - Hurry back

IMO/IMHO - In my opinion/In my humble opinion

JMO - Just my opinion

BTW - By the way

GTG - Got to go

I know there's more but I can't think of them atm.

Thanks for the welcome Po!

The only ones i have kind of guessed are a bit less light hearted to the ones you posted! Dunno if that constitutes a trigger warning (TW!) or not but here goes:

csa = childhood sexual abuse (i think)

t = therapist (i also think!)

OTJ x

You are correct, for the most part. T can also constitute Therapy.

If you don't know one, ask. Someone will likely know it

Edited by Po

We do ask that member limit abbreviations as much as possilbe - especially in the chat room - because they can be very confusing to new members and those who do not have English as their first language - texting in chat can be especially difficult to understand - I would have posted some examples fortexting - but can't think of a single for the minute!! (I don't know how to text)

best wishes

karen

Some more:

"TW" = trigger warning

"PA" = physical abuse

"EA" = emotional abuse

Sometimes for very emotionally difficult words like "rape" people will "censor" them like "r***" or shorten them like "r'ed." You can usually figure these words out from context.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking you mean more the abbreviations used so as not to use terms or words that could trigger? I only know the ones that were mentioned above x

Hi OTJ,

Welcome to Aftersilence. My name is Mandy and I am apart of the Newbie Support Team here at AS.

Here is a link to the abbreviations used here (it's also in the Public Feedback Forum):

Abbreviations

If you have any other questions please feel free to let me know or send me a message.

Mandy

Edited by sunshinee