Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi, New And Scared..

Cold

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm 20, and I live in the UK, currently at University.

I looked for a support group for sexual abuse, and found AS :)

In the past few years I've remembered and realised that I was abused by a family member. I can't remember it all, and some of it is not in detail, I don't know if that makes it easier or harder to deal with.

Hardly anyone knows about it... Just a couple of friends I've met online and even they hardly know any information, they just know I was abused. They don't even know it was a family member.

There was one time when I was drunk and this guy, kept buying me drinks and started following me home and wouldn't let me go, and yeah... it got close to assault but thankfully didn't.

Talking about it, even writing it down, actually even joining a forum like AS is scary, it makes it "real".

I'm used to pretending it never happened, but that hasn't worked for me, because I have nightmares and panic attacks and hiding it means I don't deal with it, and I need to deal cause it affects me too much.

I remember reading on the AS website that stalking was mentioned... I hate saying it, but I was stalked too, and I need to deal with that too cause it also affects me. And no one knows about that either.

Sorry for the long introduction, I guess I needed to write it down briefly, and let other people know. It's so hard and scary :unsure:

Thanks for reading

Cold

Welcome to AS! :flowers:

I think you are incredibly brave for sharing all of this... I want you to know that you are not alone and we will always be here for you. You are strong, and you can heal.

If you would ever like to talk, please remember that my PM box is always open.. It is literally impossible for me to judge anyone at all, so please feel free to say anything you like to me. I would be honored to listen..

I look forward to seeing you around the forums and maybe we'll meet up in chat sometimes...

Keep talking, break the silence, you have started on a journey to healing by coming here, and I hope the road to recovery is smooth and gentle. Take gentle care.. :)

:hug: if ok

Hey Cold,

I am 22 and I too was abused by a family member.

I remember how scared I was when I joined AS. I had never told anyone. I had tried to convince myself my whole life that it didn't happen, that it was just my imagination. And eventually that just didn't work for me anymore. I was never sleeping, anxious, battling memories every minute of the day and just felt so desperate. I, and I am sure many many others here, can really relate to what you are going through. It is scary, but so worth it! Joining AS does make it "real," but it is the first step in healing (which by the way is a work in progress but feels good - better than anything else I have ever experienced). You will be amazed at how much this support system will change your life. Welcome to AS!

take care,

deep

Hi there. Welcome to AS. I hope you find this site to be helpful.

Found

Welcome to AS, Cold.

Hi Cold,

You're incredibly strong for posting here. I do not remember most details from what happened to me. I'm not sure if it's good or bad either.

I know this is a scary thing to do, but you know sometimes we have to take the harder roads to heal. And the result is worthwhile. I'm glad you reached out here, and I want you to know you're very courageous in doing that.

Mandy

Welcome. I understand how you feel. I also pretend that it's not real but AS has helped me heal so much in a short amount of time. I hope it can do the same for you.

Guest SaraElizabeth

Hi Cold and welcome to AS :flowers:

Im so glad you found us. Dealing with this on top of university can be really difficult. I'm sorry you've had to go through all this. If you ever want to talk, my PM box is always open!

Sara x