Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Saying Hello

Nate18

Hi, my name is Nathan, I'm 18 and a transgendered male.

I'm a survivor of sexual assault by an ex-boyfriend.

I found this site through the internet recently because I've been experiencing some really horrible and vivid flashbacks that are making my life difficult. Just wanted to talk to someone who might know what I am feeling. Hope I can make some friends.

- Nate

Welcome to AfterSilence Nathan. My name is Mandy and I'm a part of the Newbie Support Team here at AS. My job is to familiarize you with this site, and I can answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to PM if you have questions or if you just need a listening ear.

I'm glad you are here, but I'm sorry for what led you here. Flashbacks can be extremely hard to deal with, are you familiar with some grounding techniques?

I do look forward to seeing you around the boards:)

Mandy

welcome nate. i dont know if this is what mandy meant, but in the forum Psychological well being there is a pinned topic (at the top) called "List to help us when we are triggered...", and some of the things people write are specifically grounding techniques.

some grounding techniques i use to help me thru flashbacks are :

using 5 senses - list (out loud) 5 things i see, 5 things i hear, 5 things i touch, etc. here in the now.

recite the time and date aloud.

put both feet on the floor, if they are not.

drink (water, coffee, pop)

breath slowly in and out, and focus on it.

i am sorry you are struggling.

take gentle care. safe hug if ok :hug:

Hello Nate, and welcome to AS. :)