Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Still Trying to Cope Many Years Later

Guest newmrsd

Guest newmrsd

I feel so nervous about this, but I am glad I found this page.

I was raped by a young man I met in church when I was 14. That was nearly eleven years ago, but I am beginning to realize that trying to forget about it rather than dealing with it has made the recovery process long and difficult. My biggest concern is a constant fear for my own saftey. I am afraid all the time. I force myself to go out and do things, but I always reget it, and then come home to insomia or terrible nightmares.

I am now engaged to and living with the same police officer who took my report... He has been a supportive presence in my life for many years now, and helps me to feel safe... but sometimes I am even afraid of him. He has never abused me, and would NEVER harm a woman in any way, but these irrational fears that I continue to have just bubble up... I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I turned the guy in. He told me that he would kill me if I did. In some sick way I feel like I cheated death by turning him in, because in those moments I can't forget he would have killed me if he knew I would turn him in.

How do you deal with the fear? In a way, I'm addicted to it, because I think in the long run it will keep me safe, but on the other hand, I am tired of being afraid. As much as I hate to see so many other women dealing with this pain, it helps to know that I am not alone. My fiance is my rock, and has been the most loving, supportive influence I could ask for -- but he doesn't really understand what I am going through, and why him being there doesn't make the fear stop.

(((newmrsd))) Welcome to After Silence! I'm glad you found your way here and i hope you find support and healing as i have. I am so proud of you for being strong, for standing up for your rights, for letting yourself love and trust again. I'm glad you have a man who loves you so much! Dealing with fear...that's a tough one... i still deal with it everyday... and i dunno how i deal with it... sometimes just taking risks i think...and then it slowly gets easier... it's still scary, but not as bad.... hope that makes sense... =) Sorry i dont have a better answer...maybe somebody else does. =) *hugs* Take care...keep posting! We're here for you!

Clarissa

Wow... you have really got a ton of stuff going on! I am sorry to hear about your fear. Only thing I know to reccomend is finding a really good therapist, probably for both you and your fiance, b/c I can't imagine what he is also living with about the whole event. I hope that you work things out... you have survived so much already, I believe you can survive this too! I am curious to know why you regret the things that you go out and do? Are they putting you back into danger? Best wishes...

(((newmrsd))) Welcome to After Silence. I'm glad you are here. I am sorry you are dealing w/so much pain. Remember that you are not alone. There is hope in healing. Days do begin to brighten. Be kind to yourself :)

Guest Madonna

Hi! Congratulations on having the courage to post what you did.

It's horrible being afraid isn't it? My rapist is dead and I am still terrified of him. He also used to tell me that he would kill me if I told or that he would kill my family in front of me if I told and it freaks me out to this day.

Glad to hear you have a supportive fiance. Sometimes I don't know what I would do without my boyfriend. Hopefully you'll find even more support here :-)

Madonna :-)

Hi there. Just wanted to add my welcome to the others. As they have already said, it is improtant to work through that fear with a therapist, its not easy but is so worth it when you begin to release that. Somebody I have shared my journey with always tells me that I should realise that we don't 'get over' things, that we have to go through it to really deal with it.

Take care

wendy