Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi Everyone

Hi,

Can't quite believe i've found myself here but from what i've read so far this looks like an amazing forum.

I'm 27 & went through all the awful stuff when i was 15 (can't bring myself to write the words, let alone say them). I didn't tell anyone what happen, hid from it all & became agoraphobic for a long time but when i finally got a job etc all the memories came flooding back. I now have two amazing friends, a counsellor & a doctor who know what happened.

I'm now looking for support from people who actually know what it is like.

Hopefully chat to some of you soon.

xxx

Edited by Katiexxx

Welcome to the group, Katie. You have hit the jackpot of people who know what it's like. I hope we can give you all the help you need to heal. I am very glad to hear that you have told some people now. I know how hard it was for me to tell people. The best advice that I was given was to write my story down, just for myself, in a word perfect file, even if I could only write 1 or 2 words at a time and to come back to it every time I have the strength to write more, include more details that I had left out, include things that I had forgotten. I keep writing and revising and adding to my story. Putting it in words helped me to make sense of things. It helped me to figure out how I felt about things. It helped me to figure out things that I never would have figured out.

I've said it many times, and it may be some of the best advice that I have to give. The more people I have told, and the more of my story that I have told, the better I have felt, and the easier it has gotten to tell people. Just remember how hard it was to tell the very first person you ever told. How much easier was it to tell the last person that you told? In my experience, it gets easier every time and I feel better and better every time.

I hope we can give you enough support for you to heal enough to be able to write down your story.

If you ever need someone to talk to in private, please know that you can PM me and I will reply.

Love,

Liz

Katie,

Welcome to AS. I am glad that you have found a place that is full of people who know what it is like and are here to support you. I am however sorry for what has brought you here, and what you have been through.

emt

Hello Katie, and welcome to AS. :)

Thankyou to you all. I'm pleased i found this website.

I will attempt to write more & explain my situation as & when i feel i can. I know i want to.....it's just a matter of being in the right frame of mind to do it & knowing i can give in to it without any other commitments to cope with.

xxxx

Guest SaraElizabeth

Hi Katie and welcome to AS :)

My name is Sara and I am a member of the Newbie Support Team which was set up to help new members settle in, so if you have any questions or need any help please feel free to message me or another member of the team.

This is an amazing forum - you've come to the right place for support from people who know what it's like. I'm really glad you've found us :) I'm glad you have a great support network of people around you as well, thats always a good thing.

Take care, and I hope you settle in well here

Sara