Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi There

Hi,

I just found this place a couple days ago, while I was going through the first rough patch I've had in a while. I guess I would say that I am "mostly healed" from my experiences, but although I've dealt with so much of what happened, as life goes on, I am presented with new aspects of what happened to deal with. What I do believe is that you are only faced with what you can deal with at the time, even though at the time you can feel completely overwhelmed and in darkness. When I was just an infant up to two years of age, I was sexually abused by my father. I told my mom as a small child, which prompted my parents to get divorced, and my mom (thank god) got custody. Although I always knew what had happened to me, I managed to push it to the back of my mind for most of my childhood. Mostly the anger that I had at my dad as a child was due to him letting me down in other ways, not dealing with the abuse. I had supervised visitation with my dad until I was 14, and then saw him unsupervised (at that point, I knew he wouldn't do anything because he both knew I would tell). Not until I went to college did I really deal with the abuse--I started having body and emotional flashbacks that had me crying and cowering in the closet. I haven't had any contact with my dad since that point. I got a therapist who was really fabulous, and I worked through all those bad times and made it out the other side (It is possible!) I'm proud to say that I'm now in a healthy relationship with my boyfriend (~1.5 years), one where I am comfortable with sexual experiences (which I was very fearful would cause triggers, etc, but turned out fine).

I'm really glad to be in a community of survivors. Being a survivor is not really something I share with people; my family knows from the divorce proceedings, but other than them I've only shared my story with two close friends and my current boyfriend. I think it will be very comforting to be part of a community where people automatically understand a huge part of you. Oh, and my username refers to what I call my inner child, who I've found often needs attention and playtime and cuddles!

I wish everyone strength and inner peace.

Best, Laurie :wub:

PS--this little guy is just adorable! :penguin:

Hi Laurie :wave:

Welcome to AS

My name is Cathy, I am part of the newbie support team here at Aftersilence. I will be happy to help you settle in, if you have any problems or questions you send me or any member of the team a personal message

Its good to see hat ou are mostly healed, I am so sorry for what your father did to you :hug: it was not right...

I really think that it is great that you got through to the other side of T (therapy) it is really inspirational to me, as I think I am only at the start.. and feels like there will never be an end to this..

Look forward to you seeing you around the board :flowers:

Cathy

Welcome Laurie!

I too feel "mostly healed", I still have things I have to deal with, and questions...but for the most part the flashbacks are gone, i don't get as many nightmares, and I enjoy a healthy sex life again! (With my husband of almost 4 yrs)

Now I have found that I feel like a survivor and I am ready to let go of the last thing I still have that came from my views during abuse. That would be my weight. I gained a lot of weight as an adolescent so that the opposite sex would not see me as attractive. So far I have lost 8lbs! Besides that, I have a strong urge to help others! I feel I need to help others to become survivors! I am proud to say I am a survivor, I want others to experience it as well!

So welcome, and I am glad you joined! :flowers:

~Jen

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Jen--I sympathize with the weight gain. I have also struggled with my weight--I think extra weight makes me feel safer and more secure that abuse would not happen again. But I too am ready to lose the weight--you inspire me to work even harder! I have lost about 11 pounds so far, and I hope we can help motivate each other!

Laurie :penguin:

Edited by littlelaurie

Hi Laurie, and welcome to AS. :)

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Jen--I sympathize with the weight gain. I have also struggled with my weight--I think extra weight makes me feel safer and more secure that abuse would not happen again. But I too am ready to lose the weight--you inspire me to work even harder! I have lost about 11 pounds so far, and I hope we can help motivate each other!

Laurie :penguin:

I also felt safe and secure when I gained weight. However now I no longer need to feel safe and secure in the same way, and I am kinda mad about my weight. Its a frustration for me now, and it needs to go! Its one of the last things that make me look in the mirror and feel like the vulnerable little girl I use to be! Its the last thing I need to rid from my life of that past. I am losing the weight, just not as fast as I would like.

I am happy for you, that you have lost 11lbs! Congrats...its not always easy, and you are doing it! Of course we can help to motivate each other, I would like that very much!