Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Would There Be Any Interest In An As Ventrilo Server?

I have a 50-person ventrilo server that I've been running for some time now, that I was primary going to use for World of Warcraft...except I find myself not playing World of Warcraft much anymore, or using my ventrilo server.

Obviously there's already a chatroom, but would there be any interest/demand if I were to set up password protected rooms for people from AS to talk to each other online through my vent server?

I have a 50-person ventrilo server that I've been running for some time now, that I was primary going to use for World of Warcraft...except I find myself not playing World of Warcraft much anymore, or using my ventrilo server.

Obviously there's already a chatroom, but would there be any interest/demand if I were to set up password protected rooms for people from AS to talk to each other online through my vent server?

I love the idea, a voice to speak to someone who understands. With typing you can often go back and edit what you say deleting lines and changing the story. Often in real life, we say what we mean, and it is theraputic. I am mysleft, as well as my H, and brother are Wow Players, so I like vent. I would just have to get my mike fixed and my headphones out. That is the only problem I forsee, is a spouse or partner in the room listening, so members might not feel comfortable in sharing something so private if they know there confidentaly isnt secure.

That's a very generous thought. I'm not sure how it would work, but if you can make it work I think it would be more like speaking in a traditional group therapy- which not everyone has access to depending on where they live.

I'm not too comfy with the idea of anyone holding a password of mine in someone's else's server. Too many hackers out there! Thank you, but no thank you.

I'm not too comfy with the idea of anyone holding a password of mine in someone's else's server. Too many hackers out there! Thank you, but no thank you.

No, you misunderstand how it works.

On a ventrilo server, you have the ability to set up multiple channels that users can join. Users can only speak to and hear from other users inside the same channel. I could create a channel labeled, for example, "Channel 1". You would only be able to talk to other people who are also in Channel 1, and I could set up a password of, for example, aftersilence. That means to join Channel 1, you would have to type in aftersilence to enter. It's essentially to protect the channel from unwanted people joining and listening to private conversations. You're not inputting your own personal passwords.

azazo, I sent you a PM.

No, you misunderstand how it works.

On a ventrilo server, you have the ability to set up multiple channels that users can join. Users can only speak to and hear from other users inside the same channel. I could create a channel labeled, for example, "Channel 1". You would only be able to talk to other people who are also in Channel 1, and I could set up a password of, for example, aftersilence. That means to join Channel 1, you would have to type in aftersilence to enter. It's essentially to protect the channel from unwanted people joining and listening to private conversations. You're not inputting your own personal passwords.

azazo, I sent you a PM.

I'm good, thanks all the same! :)

Hey SPQR,

AfterSilence is run from a system called Ip.Board from Invision Power Services, and it isn't possible to securely intergate the Ip.Board system with a "Ventrilo Server", also it's almost impossible to moderator or monitar a Ventrilo server system which you've proposed, although I know you have only the best of intentions at heart, I really don't think it would be appropriate for AfterSilence, our Java chatroom Chat Sigma, can if we ever see the need, demand and have the resources to facilitate, have voice added to it, however looking at the demand and the nature of AfterSilence as a website I don't think this would really be on the cards at this point.

None-the-less your suggestion, as are all suggestions, will be passed to the boards moderating team for consideration, and I'd also like to thank-you for making this suggestions and for offering the resources you have available to help AfterSilence. That's very kind of you offer :flowers:

Please keep the suggestions coming :)

John :hug:

Personally I think it's a great idea. I understand a lot of people wouldn't be comfortable with it, but i don't think it would be intended for those people. It's a lot safer and more annonymous than a phonecall and yet still brings a humanity to it. I have some experience with vent, and while i don't run it now i find it handy. Also Vent is very easily disposed to setting up multiple rooms, and has a very simple learning curve.

John: Would it be doable as an unofficial thing? Aka: not endorsed by AS but frequently used by ppl on AS? Like could SPQR just go ahead and set it up and give ppl the PW in private msg as requested? Cause there are some of us who aren't allowed in the chatroom, which i'm ok with, but it would be nice to have a second slightly more public room. Kinda like on the boards, a survivors section and then a section that secondaries are allowed in to.