Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Another Seeker

I am another new member. I am another survivor, but not another statistic. I am hoping to hear from other members who have formed successful intimate relationships as adults after living through childhood sexual abuse.

I have come to peace with most of what I have lived through, but now I am getting "close" to someone and don't know how to approach the topic of my past with this person. I am a strong and emotionally, physically healthy person but what I have experienced is also a part of me forever. I can't hide the truths, when I was in my teens i carved on myself a lot as a way of dealing with/expressing the pain I felt ,so these scars are with me physically for the rest of my life.

Thanks for reading this.

WOW!

Rainrider Welcome. I am ebullire33 and am having similar experience. For the most part I have accepted what has happened to me. Still, I do have relapses. I thought I was fine until I started seeking out a relationship. Alone and as a single mom, I know who I am and I am strong. But, now that I am interested in meeting someone... I am falling to pieces. Living in the past, projecting into the future and totally neglecting the present. This is what I used to do before I found peace. Yikes! This is my welcome statement to you? Sorry... Ugh, again, welcome.

Ebullire33

Hi Rain,

I'm glad you've joined After Silence. I think you'll find many of us can relate, and many of us are also trying to reclaim/develop our ability to be in relationships. You're not alone in this respect either. :) I look forward to getting to know you over time. If you have any questions, feel free to message me. :hug::)

Hello rainrider, I wanted to say hi and wanted to tell you that I have been in a relationship for 11 years, I still find it hard to talk to him about my past. Although he is the most supportive man in the world. I was terrified about telling him, but decided that it was a part of my past and just like the rest of my experiences in life, shaped who I am today. I resolved that if he was going to love me then he would have to love all of me. I was tired of being not good enough, and hiding who I was for so long that I just had to give him all of me and see if he still wanted me. Luckily enough he did and we celebrated our 10th year anniversary this year. But you like me and every other man and woman deserve to be loved completely for who we are, not what we have done or been through. Trust in yourself and know that your partner will love you for you. If they dont then they are not worth your time. I hope that in some small way, I have given you a little bit of support and comfort. Take Care.

Macca