Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Censor?

Hello

After browsing the boards, which i haven't donw in forever, i noticed a little something was wrong or different with the censor. Words Like r*pe are being let through, and other words are being blacked out completely instead of modified with the * and such. Is this new, or a temporary glitch?

:butterfly:

I didn't know we had a censor on the boards - there is one in chat - I think you can type any word and it will not be consored - I think people choose to censor certain words themselves by putting in the *

But I might be wrong!!

karen

Some members choose to manually edit words that can be a potential trigger, while others opt to not censor the word. Either way is acceptable.

The blacking of words can be used when talking about a potential trigger or when talking about a movie or a show and you wish to not spoil it for those who have not seen it.

We do not have a censoring feature installed on the board, however, we do have it installed for chat.

Hope this helps,

Lindy

After browsing the boards, which i haven't donw in forever, i noticed a little something was wrong or different with the censor. Words Like r*pe are being let through, and other words are being blacked out completely instead of modified with the * and such. Is this new, or a temporary glitch?

We never had and never will have a filter for words like rape (or any other word related to sexual violence). Like Karen said, some people choose to censor certain words by putting in the *. I know of other forums for survivors that automatically filter words, so that rape automatically becomes r*pe, but we would never do it. There is power in voicing your experience and being able to write or say the full word can be very healing. Of course, it's a personal choice and there are members who don't feel ready. If they feel more comfortable writing r*pe, we won't force them to type something they don't want to.

As far as words being blacked, there is a tool called "spoiler" that allows you to cover words in black, so that they can be visible only if you right-click on them with your mouse. Again, it's something members choose to do on their own. Personally, I strongly advise against using the "spoiler" tool for triggering material because I don't believe in hiding or blacking out anything related to sexual violence, in real life or online. There should be no shame, of any form.

Now, we do have a filter in place for certain swear words (like "f*ck," for example.) Personally, I'm not disturbed by foul language, but there are members who find it offensive or who are triggered by it.

Also, most of the filtered words are never used on this board but we included them in our filter system as a precaution. Should someone register with bad intentions and attempt to spam the board with sexually explicit words, we can contain the damage. I don't think that has ever happened so far, thankfully.

I hope this answers your question. :),

Oooh thanks for explaining about the spoiler - I wondered why people would type a sentence but then black it out and I would try and guess what they might have said!! Now I know - only been here 3 years - I amsuch a slow learner!!

karen

ok i thought i was losing it. I've seen two posts already today with words blacked out, and Ik asterisks have appeared on my words even though I have not put them there. Of course those were my cuss words in need to vent, but Ik i've seen it done.

Thanks for the clarification.

:butterfly:

To use the black out thing put the word spoiler, in brackets [write word "spoiler" here] text [/write word "spoiler" here ]

E.g.

SPOILER

Hope this helps :flowers:

It's good to know that we are free to write using whatever words we want. I too think it is important that we have the freedom to tell our stories in whatever way we feel comfortable putting it across. I read a post where raoe was written r*pe and it actually made me feel worse than the actual word. It made it look dirty and shameful and I don't think it should be

Thanks John for the tip.

Strong enough in some ways I agree with you but sometimes I just can't bring myself to type or say certain words. Also I don't want to upset other people but I'm fine with anyone doing what they feel comfortable with.

I think I may have worded my previous post badly Maddie, I put how I feel about it but I also understand that everyone feels different. I must admit I am struggling a little on here as it's such a sensitive place and I am so worried about saying the wrong thing or upsetting someone! I prefer to say the actual words but I see why some people can't

It is up to the individual member to write either rape or r*pe, and every member is entitled to their own way of approaching such words, some members feel comfortable writting them, where others prefer to include a * or other censorship when writting them, and I think that when it comes to things such as which words to use, we shouldn't worry about stepping on other members toes because as long as we are keeping within the guidelines, then we have the right to post whatever we wish, it is the responsibility of the individual members to ensure their safety, and if they don't wish to view or read words such as rape then it is their responsibility not to read them.

However as Vera said the moderators don't force members to use words, I think that members should have the option to use rape or r*pe, because they know what they feel comfortable using, and we should all respect that, whichever way a member decides to display the word, and in reality we all know what the word is they are refering to anyways, they are getting the message out, and breaking the silence, and that is the most important thing! :) So I don't really think it matter if we use the word rape or r*pe.

The intention for the word is their, and the message get across and that is the main thing.

Actually on a lighter note, this reminds me of a time, when instead of using the work F*ck infront of my parents, I used to say "uck", of course I was 12, and was being a smart arse, well my parents said the message in the word is the same so you're still in trouble for saying that, I was like :duh:

But I think that same concept applies here, where the word rape or r*pe is used the message gets across :) ... Hope this helps :flowers:

• 5 months later...

@ the admins/mods: I think the system is well thought out, well done.

I typically * out words as i remember to just to keep things easier for other readers. I don't really need to voice myself as much for me as i do to look for advice or give advice so most of my posts i try to suit to readers, rather than my catharsis. But I respect people using either setup as their personal needs/desires draw them. (aka complete repeat of the admin's opinions)