Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Introducing Myself!

Hi everyone! :hi: My name is Lupe, I'm a 25 y/o female. As a child I was sexually abused by my father, and very few people know. Even those who I do confide in are unable to understand completely, and no one can begin to empathize with my emotions/thoughts/attitudes. So I decided to come here in addition to getting professional counseling.

My family is not at all close knit. My father passed away when I was 12, and that's when my nightmare finally ended (and began). Since then I have told 3 people. One is an exboyfriend who used my abuse against me. The other is a dear friend to me who is more like a sister than anything else, and the third person is the man who I am currently involved with now. He is extremely kind and understanding, and supports me in my mission to recover and heal.

I have always known about my abuse. I didn't have a time in my life where I had no idea that the abuse happened, like some survivors. I didn't seek counseling until very recently, when I realized that I cannot continue to live my life in pain, anger, sadness and confusion. I used to self medicate with alcohol, drugs and men. Now I see that I was only making the problem worse, and I need to face this the healthy way. I refuse to let my abuse dominate my world. I am determined to make that critical step from "victim" to "survivor."

On a different personal note- I work in social services, kind of as a way to give back, I guess. It both helps and hinders because sometimes I feel that I can't focus on my own issues. It's not always about ME. This is good because I sometimes need to not focus on myself and my hurt, but it can be a problem because there are times when I genuinely need to feel my pain, but I can't because I'm with a client dealing with their own issues. In general I love my job. I love dance- particularly ballet. I have danced for the majority of my life and I LOVE the quote "I found a way to dance through my sorrow" because I feel that that was the one thing that kept me sane as a child. I love being outdoors- camping, hiking, going to the beach, snowboarding... I'm a pretty typical young woman. I feel that my life is finally falling in place and recovering from my abuse is the last piece of the puzzle before I am truly 1000% fulfilled.

So. This post was much longer than I had originally intended! But it feels good to get it out there and introduce myself. I'm so thankful to find a place where I can be completely open and real. Thanks to all of you who put yourselves out there in the hopes of healing yourselves and others.

Hope to "meet" you all soon!

- :wave: Lupe

Hi Lupe,

Welcome!! :)

I hope you feel at home soon. :flowers:

I am sorry for all you went through but am also glad you have found us. It is not uncommon to not be understood by people who haven't actually been there, or have been close to it. Here, we do understand the emotions/thoughts/attitudes that are a result of abuse. You are not alone. I am glad you also have professional help, just cuz you need all the help you can get! I hope you find AS as supportive as I have.

:hug: = if ok??

Jo

Hi Lupe

welcome here to AS...Im glad you found us and sorry you went through so much hell and abuse

Im glad you have a friend and man in your life who are supportive..That can make all the difference in the world

I think alot of us go into fields where we can help others and give back :)

big hugs to you hon

Graice

Hi Lupe,

Welcome to AS! It is good to hear that you are in counseling and trying to work through everything right now.  This place is wonderful and everyone is so supportive.  Hope to see you around the boards. :loveas:  :aswelcomesu:

Hi Lupe

Its great to have you here. I'm sorry you've been through what you have but I'm glad you have your friend and your partner in your life. I'm really glad that you're making these steps on your healing journey.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything

take care of yourself

teazle

:aswelcomesu: I just wanted to welcome you and tell you that I'm sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. This is such a great group of people and I hope that you are able to find all of the support and encouragement you need. You did such a great job posting your story here. I know how hard that can be. If you ever wanna pm me, feel free. take good care of yourself and welcome aboard.

welcome to AS :hug:

Hello and Welcome

I'm sorry that you have to participate in a cite like this, but I'm so glad you found us. I hope you find comfort and support here.

I look forward to seeing you on the boards.

:butterfly:

Welcome Lupe.

I hope you find all the healing and support you need here.

Sending you gentle :hug: if ok.