Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Computer Help Needed!

Can anyone help!!

I have totally messed up my computer - well chat anyway! A bit of a pain if you happen to be a chat mod!!

I think I have deleted something that enables java and msn too as I can get niether - but I can use yahoo IM - when I click on the after silence link to the chat room I am immediatly logged off the internet - if I try to download java as soon I click on the download link I am once again disconnected from the internet.

Does anyone know what might be the problem??

Please!!

best wishes

Karen

ps = this does not mean you can all go wild in chat whilst I can't get in!!!

I have not got a clue, but I have to say being logged off when you try to get Java sounds a bit suspect to me!

The only things I can think of trying is restoring your PC to an earlier time. Do you have a recent restore point you can roll back to? Or do you have a memory stick/ flash drive/ pen drive thing (see the argo book if you've no idea what I'm going on about) because if you have you can get a copy of Java on someone elses machine and save it to that flash drive. Then install it to your machine from there.

Hotmail and messenger are being a b*stard to me too right now. Apparently it's them not me (see my post in Simply Life).

Good luck, you'll be missed... Mouahahahahahaaaaaa.... Now to cause some trouble ;)

I had the same thing not so long ago on my computer where it would not allow me into chat. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE or maybe download Firefox and try it from there as stop gap measure?

Tracey

Thanks for those to instructions - I have tried to restore to before I messed everything up -but it won't allow me!! I will try again today - and see if that helps

karen

try following theese two links I has this problem just awhile back

CLICK the green to install

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

OR

on this one scroll down and choose your operating system:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/default.mspx

thanks angel

I have tried the download link - but just get immediatly disconnected fromt he internet - I think what has happened is this:

If I go to tools - internet options - advanced and then scroll through the settings - there is nothing there about java anymore - there used to be several enble/disenable boxes there - and they have vanished! I have not idea how - if anyone knows how to get them back - I would be very grateful

Also if I click on the java link on my control panel - nothing happens

thanks

karen

ok if you follow this one and COMPLETALLY remove your OLD java, (printing the directions might be helpful) Then go and REINSTALL A NEW JAVA would that work? Is it worth a try? (make sure you restart your computer after you uninstall) (and restart after you reinstall if you choose this route)

here is the uninstall link:

http://java.com/en/download/help/5000010800.xml

and the REINSTALL LINK

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Karen,

Which operating system are you running?

If this is happening with AS and MSN, and it is simply shutting down your internet it maybe something to do with your registry in the computer, and error or something, there are many tools out there specifically made for identifying and fixing problems within computer registrys, which if you are running XP or Vista holds some of the DDL (dynamic link library) files which are used to run IE and MSN.

I tool that you might be able to use is called Registry Mechanic which works quiet well however does cost money, (is what I use) or there is a free one called Free Registry Fix 3.9 which I haven't used but from the reviews on it, it also seems to work well also.

As whitedove said, maybe you could download FireFox, because Firefox is a better browser then IE anyways because it is up to the HTML 4.02 standard where IE is only up to 4.00 standard which can always help.

If you have anymore trouble with this please let me know, and I'll try and help you out, I'm generally pritty good with this kind of thing.

Hope it works :)

John

Gorden Bennett - my washing machine just blew up = could this all be connected!!!!

Ih ave to take kids to school but will come back and try your suggestions- thanks so much for the help -

Karen

:flowers:

Thanks everyone for all your advice - I am not sure which bit it was that solved the problem but I am now a happy chatter again!!

best wishes

karen

Edited by dodo
:flowers:

Thanks everyone for all your advice - I am not sure which bit it was that solved the problem but I am now a happy chatter again!!

best wishes

karen

Darn it..........does this mean I've lost my chance to run riot in chat??

:wink:

Yep you are way too late Teazle!!!

but I am away as of the 11th march to the 19th march- you can run riot then!!

karen

:wink:

Yep you are way too late Teazle!!!

but I am away as of the 11th march to the 19th march- you can run riot then!!

karen

I've put the dates in my diary :) !!!!!!!!! PARTY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!