Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello I'm New

faith

:unsure:

Hi,

To be honest I don't know if I belong here. I was not raped, but sexually assaulted while under the influence of a lot of alcohol. What started off as dancing ended up with me being pushed into a back room and passed out on a sofa. I will be forever thankful to the girls that barged through the door and rescued me. I recently had to tell me story, something I have not done in years and never to strangers. It was the first time I ever put a name on what had happened. I was so surprised at my reaction. I cried for the first time in years and since then I have been flooded with memories and flashbacks. I thought I was over this. Shouldn't I be over this? It's been 5 years and I am happily married now.

faith+

Hi Faith,

Of Course you belong here! Being sexually assulted is something you never get over but something you live with and you deal with and the memories and flashbacks are the normal part of healing. I wish i could tell you that it will all go away but i can't. I can tell you that Learing to deal and cope with it is just one step closer to becoming whole again. I am so glad that u found this site we are all here for u :hug:

Love,

Tina

Welcome to AS, Faith. I love your name.

You absolutely belong here. Any kind of sexual assault is traumatizing. It's been awhile since my rape and I'm also happily married. But I'm just now starting to deal with it and try to heal from it. There is no timeline on when you *should* be over something. You did what you had to do to cope up to this point. Now all the flashbacks and memories are hitting and you're thinking about it a lot and doing a different kind of coping. We all do what we have to do to survive, and for me, I think putting some distance between myself and the rape before I felt safe enough to deal with it was just the only way I could cope.

I hope you find AS helpful, it's a wonderful and very supportive place with great people. :hug:

Faith .... I think your choice of user name is great and yes ... HAVE FAITH in YOURSELF .. After what happened to you, you have ever right to be here ... Welcome to AS ... This is a great place, and I hope that being here will help you in some small way understand what happened to you .. :hug:

((((((Faith))))))))

Just because you were not raped doesn't mean you don't belong here, you had something sexually done to you that was against your will. Im sorry that you were hurt, but please know that you are not alone.

Welcome! :hug:

Donna =)

welcome to the boards :hug::throb::hug:

Welcome Faith

Yes you belong here. When someone even attempts to take advantage of you against your will it is traumatic. It happened to me many many years ago, and I still think about it, even though I talked my way out of it. When you get over it, I don't know, Sometimes it seems that every aspect of your life is affected by it and that's a lot of healing. It has been 52 years for me, and when I joined this board I was going through a relationship crisis. After posting and reading, I am much better. However, it comes and goes as we can stand it, and it seems as we heal in one area, another comes up. It is very hard at first, but it gets better and better, and easier and easier, and the mood swings, flashbacks, and depression gets farther and farther apart. Healing requires good medicine, but sometimes it is so hard to take. Hang in there and continue to be brave. We are here for you. :wub::hug::wub:

:throb::hug:

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement and wisdom. I've been reading the stories and it helps to know that others have had similar feelings. It just helps to feel connected. Everyone is so brave.

Love,

Faith

Hi Faith!

I'm fairly new here too. Already it's been a help to be surrounded by so many people who can truly say, "I know" and "I care". I haven't been here all that long at all, but feel better knwing that I can be among others who are going through similar things. Glad we found it!