Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Good Day

Hello. I am a college freshman who has lived primarily in silence for ten years now. I have told some people about different things within the last two years, no longer able to focus on my life and the past. I have gotten varied responses, but I was interested in joining a community where I may be able to find a different perspective. Uhm, I have self mutilated for ten years before deciding that now is the time to stop. My girlfriend and I are working on that currently, and I actually feel pretty good about it. I need somewhere to go, however, because I often fall back into "needing" that sort of remedy. All very bothersome when I am so determined to stop. I went to a counselor after entering college, but I stopped going to meetings. I think the counseling was too much.. although I really would like to try again.

Anyway, it is nice to have found a community, and I look forward to talking to all of the people here.

Warm wishes.

TB

PS: I have found an amazing sanctuary through reading, and I would love to talk to anyone who also deals with their thoughts in a similar way. I am very much obsessed with Children's Lit... and I am a history/women's studies major in college. I don't really know what else to say.

Hey, and welcome to AS

:)

I hope we can help you and I look forward to seeing you some more on AS too, and I am glad you have come here :hug:

Please take care, and PM me anytime

John

Hi TB,

Welcome to AS.

I don't have a degree in women's studies, but almost have a degree, cause I took so many courses. Still think about doing that. I also love literature, especially children's. Feel free to send me a message if you would like to talk some about these subjects as I will respond to those. I might miss threads on those topics, but I am always interested in them.

Take care. Good and healing thoughts to you.

Kate

Hello. I am a college freshman who has lived primarily in silence for ten years now. I have told some people about different things within the last two years, no longer able to focus on my life and the past. I have gotten varied responses, but I was interested in joining a community where I may be able to find a different perspective. Uhm, I have self mutilated for ten years before deciding that now is the time to stop. My girlfriend and I are working on that currently, and I actually feel pretty good about it. I need somewhere to go, however, because I often fall back into "needing" that sort of remedy. All very bothersome when I am so determined to stop. I went to a counselor after entering college, but I stopped going to meetings. I think the counseling was too much.. although I really would like to try again.

Anyway, it is nice to have found a community, and I look forward to talking to all of the people here.

Warm wishes.

TB

PS: I have found an amazing sanctuary through reading, and I would love to talk to anyone who also deals with their thoughts in a similar way. I am very much obsessed with Children's Lit... and I am a history/women's studies major in college. I don't really know what else to say.

Hi TB,

I'm new too. I am also in college. I have been in and out of therapy for the past seven years or so. I think

you should trust your feelings about being in a group right now. There's a fine line between therapy being helpful but challenging and frightening and overwhelming. The one perk I've found is that the counseling is free through my school, maybe it is at your school too. In which case you can switch counselors and groups until something feels right.

I definitely loose myself in books as well. I have tried books about rape & rape survival I find I don't click with them as well as fiction. I think it's because I read bracing myself for whatever is coming.

I'm also glad to find an outlet on the web. I have my husband and a few friends and I appreciate their sympathy but there is a gap in how much they can really hear me.

Good to meet you.kjw

• 2 weeks later...