Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

I'm Not Sure If I Belong Here.

So you know, I've debated posting this and have actually opened the window to post this and closed it again about six times.

I'm new here, just joined up today. I joined as a survivor. But I go back and forth a lot. Sometimes, I think that yes, something definitely happened, I know it did, and I was hurt. But sometimes, especially looking around this forum, I think no, so many people have had it SO much worse, and mine...doesn't count. My stories don't matter. I feel like that a lot. So I joined as a survivor. But I don't feel like a survivor. I just feel like a giant failure.

Anyway, I'm posting here to say hi, that I'm new, and that I'm wondering if there are people out there who feel like I do.

Welcome to AS. And yes there are lots of folks who have felt or still feel as you do. You belong and you ARE a survivor. Sometimes it just takes a while for that fact to sink in. No one has had anything worse happen to them than anyone else. We have all had our own experiences and these experiences have hurt us deeply. That is the common theme that brings us all together.

So take care and don't worry about if you belong or not, YOU DO!!!

Sue

Thanks for your kind words. I always think I'm making something out of nothing, and it makes me second guess myself constantly. :unsure:

Welcome! I'm always willing to listen if you need to talk. I don't know your story, but you are a survivor because you have been harmed. and you are a hero for caring enough about yourself and others to reach out and join AS.

Hugs, if okay!

Thank you very much. It's nice to be recieved so nicely into a board like this. Makes me feel like I'm NOT overreacting, but rather finally finding a safe place to be. If that even makes sense at all. :/

Hey and Welcome,

Dont feel you story is less important, we dont see it like that at all, if you feel something happened and it feels wrong, even if you feel that is not important, we do, I feel it is very important no how bad you believe it is, we dont comfore our stories here, we simply support each individual for there stories, sexual assault is still sexual assault no matter how you look at it, so please dont feel you are less important because you are just as Important as anybody here on this site, and we just want you to help healing :hug:

Please take care and feel free to PM me anytime :hug:

John

hi and welcome. if something has been done to u, regardless of "how bad" it may seem to u compared with some stories here, it is your story, and u definitely have a place here. we all do, regardless of our particular stories. we have all been hurt, and are beginning or continuing with our recovery. we are all survivors and u most certainly are also. welcome home.

-mandy

You belong here as do we all.

This is one place that you can be assured that you will be listened to, cared for, understood and always welcome.

I guess it starts with not second guessing yourself all the time. Your memories are real, your story is real, your pain is real, as real as anyones here.

I constantly write here and never post it,

reply and never post it,

wonder if Im overreacting.

Your not alone,

Hope you find what you need here.

Take care and welcome,

Skye.

Hi,

Welcome to AS. I thin k that feelings of not belonging are very common. I experienced it a lot for a while as I was first getting involved with support groups. It took me a while to understand that pain is pain and abuse is abuse and aftereffects all deserve to be acknowledged and healed from. I think this is a good place to do that.

Glad that you are here. Keep at it. Good and healing thoughts to you.

Kate

I know the feeling, more often than not I choose not to burden others with what happened to me, I am embarrassed by it, and I fear people will look at me differently if they know.

Don't think for a second though that your experiences aren't as severe, that's the wrong way to see it. I don't think the purpose is to compare and see who's had it worse, so hold my hand and I'll hold yours, because I'm new too, and I'm reluctant even though I have anonymity here.

Hi there, I just want you to know that I feel the same way as you do, questioning what happened to me. I also struggle with incoherent memories and their after effects. It is reading posts by people like yourself that often makes me feel less alone and unsure of myself. Sometimes I find it helps to just read posts and not feel pressured to post, until I am ready and comfortable.

Anyway thanks for posting your thoughts and best wishes to you.

Edited by seagull

Welcome to AS, we all belong, be assured of that .. :hug::aswelcomesu:

Hi there, I just want you to know that I feel the same way as you do, questioning what happened to me. I also struggle with incoherent memories and their after effects. It is reading posts by people like yourself that often makes me feel less alone and unsure of myself. Sometimes I find it helps to just read posts and not feel pressured to post, until I am ready and comfortable.

Anyway thanks for posting your thoughts and best wishes to you.

at the risk of repeating what you just said, i'm really glad i'm not alone in my questioning. and yeah, i like that there's no pressure on posting or on telling what happened. it'll happen in time.