Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Badges

sukioki

Copied from my email to Marie Cartier, author of the book, "I am your daughter, not your lover"

She has given me permission to quote her book title on a badge...

I still have to figure out how I'm going to do it, as I can't afford a button machine right now, and I doubt I'd have anything figured out by your next show. Maybe the first one will just be hand embroidered or something. (if it's something printable, i'll attribute you to it - but I think embroidering your name might be too much embroidery!) I'm still so out of touch with myself and what I do...but yeah, I will let you know how it goes. I'll send you a picture or something. You can use anything I write to you about the badge any way you want.

I have a couple of ideas for badges - and I wanted them to be non-generic. I wanted them to say,essentially, "yes. INCEST happened to me." It's dirty but I'm not. And it shouldn't be a secret.

I just got tired of being treated like damaged goods. If more people were aware of it, being a survivor would get more respect. So I wanted a badge similar to Vietnam Vet or POW or something like that. I told my therapist how you go through all this suffering and trauma and how it's only in your brain and you never get any recognition or validation for going through that and coming out of it alive, that without some validation it exists ONLY IN MY HEAD. I told her I wished I had a badge people would recognize. So she said do it - make a badge - get that need validated. And the more I thought about it, the more I decided yeah, I'd be proud to wear something like that.

I just wanted it to be succinct and memorable - and I think the title of your book does all that.

Well, actually I like that sentence I just wrote in bold too. Maybe I'll make a collection of badges.

Anyway, that's my plan.

I'm going to (in my spare time over the next couple of months) come up with some more succinct lines that state with clarity what super heroes we are, and to get the taboo out of the closet so society can begin a discussion on it.

and then i'm going to wear them.

i'll post them somewhere at that time and make them available to you somehow

Suki

Edited by sukioki

Hey Suki,

Sounds good :)

Welcome to AS :hug:

Hope you like it here :hug:

Please take care :flowers:

John.

Edited by biggestfoot

:notalone::supportu::youcanheal::aswelcomesu:

Hi welcome to AS :flowers: I hope you find what you are looking for here. This is a wonderful place for support. I look forward to seeing you around the boards. Take care.

:hug: :hug:

Sad