Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello Everyone

I just joined this forum hoping to find support from other survivors. I am a survivor of childhood emotional, physical and sexual abuse that I finally got out of at age 14. Even after getting out of that situation, it has always seemed that men were out to exploit me though. As a teenager, I also survived an attack by my friend's cousin. Had it not been for my friend's mom, he would have raped me.

Anyway, I am trying to build a support network for myself with the help of my therapist. I notice that I have very little support and that I have a difficult time trusting others, women for entirely different reasons than men. When I was in high school, I was betrayed by another survivor. For about a year, she was sleeping with my first boyfriend of two years. Since then, I have had big difficulties with my female friendships.

On a lighter side, I am 30, I'm getting married in May 2008 to a wonderful man whose mother is a survivor of ritual abuse so he understands some of the issues, and I run a childcare center in one of the worst school districts in the country so I can make a huge difference by encouraging them not to be thugs. I love being outdoors and I am trying to get back to trail running. I used to coach women to do triathlon. I love the sport and hope to get back to it soon. Someday I want to do an Ironman. I have only completed a 1/2 Ironman which is a big deal in and of itself. That is a 6 hour race! I also dream of being a nurse, perhaps in pediatrics or in oncology, we'll see. I am waiting until the next semester to get into a program.

you seem like a very strong person and i am proud of you for just getting the courage to come and post on A S. i have found this site to level me off instead of being all over the place emotionally. the support of other members on here is wonderful they want to help and as of that i have found the courage to try and help other members myself..soo if u ever feel like you need to talk i want to invite you to pm me. take care!!<3 :flowers:

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I really appreciate it. I am looking forward to supporting others as well as receiving support. I think it will help me to talk to others going through similar stuff about the experience of being a survivor. I look forward to getting to know others here as well as learning from everyone.

Cat,

Thanks for the compliment. I am hoping for a similar effect that you are experiencing. Emotionally, I tend to be like a pot of boiling water on the inside and I know I spend enormous amounts of energy keeping a lid on it. Over time I've learned to function from an outsiders perspective but there are periods of time that I get so worn down that I crash and burn.

I look forward to getting to know you.

Warm regards,

RunningFree

You sound like a very strong person! I'm new here too. Maybe we can help eachother out :):hug:

Welcome to AS .. :hug::aswelcomesu:

WELCOME! I haven't been on here that long but in the short time that I have I feel that AS has been a tremendous help just to know that no matter what is going through my mind (no matter how silly I think it is) or how crazy I let myself get there is always someone who makes you feel like you are not alone...

I want to wish you Congratulations on your wedding...

and Good luck with whatever future goals you may have...

I just joined this forum hoping to find support from other survivors. I am a survivor of childhood emotional, physical and sexual abuse that I finally got out of at age 14. Even after getting out of that situation, it has always seemed that men were out to exploit me though. As a teenager, I also survived an attack by my friend's cousin. Had it not been for my friend's mom, he would have raped me.

Anyway, I am trying to build a support network for myself with the help of my therapist. I notice that I have very little support and that I have a difficult time trusting others, women for entirely different reasons than men. When I was in high school, I was betrayed by another survivor. For about a year, she was sleeping with my first boyfriend of two years. Since then, I have had big difficulties with my female friendships.

On a lighter side, I am 30, I'm getting married in May 2008 to a wonderful man whose mother is a survivor of ritual abuse so he understands some of the issues, and I run a childcare center in one of the worst school districts in the country so I can make a huge difference by encouraging them not to be thugs. I love being outdoors and I am trying to get back to trail running. I used to coach women to do triathlon. I love the sport and hope to get back to it soon. Someday I want to do an Ironman. I have only completed a 1/2 Ironman which is a big deal in and of itself. That is a 6 hour race! I also dream of being a nurse, perhaps in pediatrics or in oncology, we'll see. I am waiting until the next semester to get into a program.

Welcome... Sorry you had to go through that... remember it's not your fault...hope you find healing here.

Hey, AND WELCOME TO AS :)

Im really sorry that you have had such a hard time, and I hope the people here at AS can start to form part of your support group. I think the people here at AS are very nice people and always willing to help, and I hope you get that support too :hug:

Im glad you have reached out here and I hope to see you on forums and in boards soon,

Please take care :hug: and PM me anytime.

John.

:notalone::supportu::youcanheal::aswelcomesu:

Hi welcome to AS :flowers: I hope that you find what you are looking for here. This is a wonderful place for support. I look forward to seeing you around the boards. Take care

:hug: :hug:

Sad