Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Wanted To Introduce Myself

Iris33

I just wanted to introduce myself because I am new to AS. You all seem very friendly and I am looking forward to talking to everyone but I dont have access to the chat room yet.

I am 21 years old, I work as a carer in a group home and I love drawing, painting etc. I also write poetry.

A bit of background on me.....

I was sexually abused up untill I was about 8 or 9 by an uncle. My sister committed suicide when I was 12, she was nearly 17. I didn't acknowledge my abuse until I was about 16. I was put on anti depressants and saw a psychologist and psychiatrist all in secret from my family. I was very depressed and secluded myself from people. I was anorexic and bullimic and suicidal. Self harm was my only release. I saw the psych for about a year, mainly just around dealing with my sisters death, as she wasn't qualified to address the sexual abuse stuff. I wan't ready to deal with it then anyway. I was on the meds for about 2 years or something, 6months of the time was spent trying to get off of them!! They never worked for me.

And now.....

About 6 months ago, my abuse stuff was brought up again and I have since melted down again. I am seeing another psych and working through the abuse mainly. She wants to put me on meds again but I refused. I am suffering a lot of physical and mental flashbacks. She says I have PTSD and depression. I am struggling with alcohol and self harm as my way of coping. I am trying to use healthy strategies instead like walks on the beach, art, writing etc. Somedays they just dont work.

So anyway, I just wanted to give a brief intro into what I'm ready to share about myself. I look forward to meeting everyone and exploring this site more.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :wink:

hi iris,

welcome to AS. i am glad you wrote to us today.i think it is a good forward step in your journey to heal. i wrote for the first time today to....i hear your struggles .listening,emma19

hi iris

welcome 2 AS i am also new to day was my frist time posting my story

i know how u feel cause i also have PTSD they want 2 put me on meds

i started taking them and they were helping me 4 a while put i got off

them.cause i seen no change it just got worse.i know this dose not help u at all but it is nice 2 know that am not alone

Welcome to After Silence :flowers:

I am sorry you are struggling so much right now, but you have found an incredibly supportive place full of wonderful people. It is a big step you have made by reaching out and working more on your healing. We are here for you.

Nicole :throb:

hello iris,

welcome to after silence. this site is grest as there are many wonderful people willing to listen and help you on your way to healing. We are all here because of some type of abuse and we share some of the same feelings and experiences. Posting your thoughts and feelings help and we are always willing to listen :wave:.

Edited by pixiewillow

Welcome Iris

I'm new here for a week or so too.

My Medical Dr tried to get me to take antidepressants for grief but I havn't taken any of them. I don't want to. He has tried to get me to take them in the past because he said "I Looked Depressed". I didn't take them then either. He has to give me more than "I Look Depressed". At that time I wasn't all that depressed anyway. He does not know about my abuse issues. I have only told two people, my counselor who I went to for grief counseling and my Pastor who strongly suggested professional counseling at which point I went and found a counselor.

I know you will find support here in this forum.

:aswelcomesu::youcanheal::notalone:

Hi Welcome to AS :flowers: I hope you find what you are looking for here. This is a wonderful place for support. I look forward to seeing you around the boards. Take care!

:hug: :hug:

Sad

Thanks everyone for your very warm welcome :blush:

I feel very supported here and I will be definately be around the boards and hopefully the chat rooms too before long.

You're all great! Thank you :flowers:

hi and welcome to AS. i'm new here too. everyone seems really nice here. i know all about the PTSD and depression. i was diagnosed 12 years ago with both and have been on meds since.. i still struggle with both. i also used alcohol (and drugs) to cope.

but anyway, welcome and don't be afraid to share anything here. we are all survivors...

-mandy

Hi Iris,

You should get access to the chat room when you get 25 posts, I am so sorry for the hard time you have had, and I hope we can be part of some of the solution to your healing.

Welcome to AS, I look forward to chating to you soon and pm me anytime.

Take care of yourself,

-biggestfoot-

Hi all, :hi:

I am new to AS. I wasn't sure this was the right thing for me. But after reading the support that you all gave Iris, I am able to write about myself.

I am 22 yrs old. I was raped when I was 18. I've been dealing with it in whatever way I can right now. I've never formerly been to therapy so I'm not sure if I have PTSD but my family would tell you I do. 2 months after I was raped I found out I was pregnant. I've been raising my rapist's child for almost 3 1/2 years. She looks just like me but sometimes its hard to look at her. ?I love her to death but...... Its hard for me. I struggle everyday. My finances, my social life, work, school..... You name it I'm struggling. Sometimes I can't help but think that I'm not supossed to be in this situation. I was raised to believe God does everything for a reason and he won't put to much on your plate. When I look at her I don't believe any of that is true. Recently my mom and I were talking and I asked her if she would take my daughter for me. She is happy to do so. I just don't know what else I can do. I was doing OK not talking about it and being a single parent. But revently my younger suster and her boyfriend had a baby and my daughter asked me where her dad was. I had a breakdown. I didn't and still don't have an answer for her.

Thank you all so much for listening

Sunshine :flowers:

• 3 weeks later...