Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Coping With Being Raped

I was wondering how everyone else coped with being raped. I literally just placed what happened to me in the back of my mind and forgot about it as much as I could. Then after about a year. I completely forgot about it. I didn't even realize I did it for about 2 years.

misty

Misty,

Welcome :)

You are not alone with putting your memory away. I locked mine away for about 30 years. My memories started coming back when my daughter got to the age I was when I was first abused. It is common to not remember. In my case I guess I was not strong enough to deal with them until later in life. I'm told that memories come up when I am able to deal with them... so here I am dealing with them as best as I can, for now.

Good luck and nice to meet you.

Linda

Welcome. I suppressed a little too. You are not less strong for waiting to tell, you needed to survive emtionally and physically. Now that you have told, you've started to heal. That's scary and brave. Try to be proud of yourself!

Adore your name Misty. Post as you need to.

-Elle :hug:

Welcome to After Silence :flowers:

It took me years to start dealing with what happened to me as well. Finding this site helped me tremendously, it was comforting to finally feel less alone and to know others were feeling the way I was. Hope we can help you as much.

Nicole :throb:

Misty

Welcome to AS

I have also put my memory away, or tried as hard as I could for 2 years as well. Until last year, when I finally put it out in the open. You are not alone.

Take care,

Melissa

Misty

I think we all deal with rape differently. Nobody deals with something that traumatic the same as anyone else. I admit too, that I surpressed my rape. Which is why I clicked on this thread, to see what everyone's take on dealing with rape is. I was raped four years ago, and I told my boyfriend about it a year ago, he has supported me where I didn't think he would.

Once I was raped I tossed it aside, I didn't want to think about it because I didn't want others to figure it out. I only talked about it to my boyfriend and then I found I had a talent at writing. I used my writing to express my grief and sorrow. And then, once I told my family about my rape, I found my talent to be lacking and I took that as I was getting better.

Then I found AfterSilence; this site can help me where my family and boyfriend cannot.

Coping isn't easy, realizing that it was so simple for me to be taken advantage of in the worst way is really discouraging and makes me feel so inferior and so bleak. But I rest easily knowing that one day I will overcome this trauma and get my life back.

I hope your healing goes smoothly. Remember, you aren't alone. Talk about it!

Many hugs :bighug:

Welcome - Misty

I am glad you found AS. I recently found it here and have done the same as you, I put it behind me and hoped to forget it until it bit me. Please know we are here to support you though this. Know that you are a strong person and that you too will prevail. I believe that.

hugs and look forward to talking to you

Michelle

:yahoo:Yahoo, :aswelcomesu: !
:hug: We love :wub: you, and are glad you've found AfterSilence!
:notalone:

Hi,

I never told anyone about my sexual assault until about two weeks ago...at least not what really happened. It occurred 11 1/2 years ago.

Take care,
Lyn Edited by todlyn
I was wondering how everyone else coped with being raped. I literally just placed what happened to me in the back of my mind and forgot about it as much as I could. Then after about a year. I completely forgot about it. I didn't even realize I did it for about 2 years.

misty

It took me about 6 years, many relationships ending because I was scared, then losing "friends" who were not strong enough to cope with things. It will be ok. I now realize what happened, I am dealing with it, I feel great and I look forward to the future everyday....its hard, but it gets better!!!