Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Advice Needed

I just joined this forum today and I'm hoping to receive some advice. I am 32 years old and I found out via an email that was not sent to me that my mother was the victim of sexual abuse. From the email I can only deduct that this happened during her adolescense or childhood and the abuser was her brother (who is still alive today). As you can imagine, this information has caused a lot of pain to me. My mother doesn't know I read this email nor does she know I know what happened, so my question to you is how do you think I should approach this subject with her (or do I even say anything?). I want to help her to open up about it because she is currently separating from my father, who I believe has always emotionally-abused her.

I hope this made sense and I would greatly appreciate any advice and/or resources you can provide me.

Hi, I'm new on here and have just read your post. I think it is really hard for anyone to be able to tell you what is the best thing to do; as hard as it may sound, I think that it is a decision that you have to come to yourself and then use the support on this site to help you get through which ever path you choose.

It sounds like a really hard and painful situation and I bet you are so lost and confused, wanting answers but also wanting to be there for your mum. My advice is to take your time to absorb the information you read; when your mind stops racing so much and you have chance to think it through clearly you will know what the right ccourse of action is for you both.

The thing is, what is right for you may not be right for someone else, which is why it is so important you make the choices. But once you have, you can be supported here, whether that be supporting you in your silence or supporting you through talks....take care and good luck, the answers will come :hug: