Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hi, I have tried to post my intro, but havent gotten any replies. I might not have put it in the right place. anyways, My name is Stephanie and I am new, I havent convinced myself that therapy is the right way to go, I mean to pick a name out of a phone book? I dont think I can trust that. Does any one find therapy to be the magic key to resolving issues?

Hi

I am brand new today too. Have been in therapy for 5 months now and it was the best thing I ever did. I knew I could not go on living my life as I was. I found my therapist through my doctor. She also put me on anti-depressants and I can now get out of bed on the weekends (I work full time) and not go to bed at 7pm during the week. I can now also clean my house and not cry whenever I am on my own not to mention the fact I now cook proper meals for my 15yo daughter again.

Yes I hit rock bottom - drink, drink & more drink which led me to drink drive (luckily not caught), trashed my house and also my boyfriends place (this I did on an almost regular basis drunk or not over a period of three yrs). Things got so baaaaad I HAD to do something! I was scared but knew, for me, it was the right thing to do.

Good luck

Hi Stephanie

Welcome...I have been in therapy for about six months and it has literally saved my life. I am not sure how of the best way to find a therapist, I found mine online..through a psych. website and he has worked really well. Also this site has been a huge place for support and realizing you aren't the only one..good luck

B

Welcome to AS, a good therapist can make all the difference, although I would say that even with the best help in the world there isn't a magic answer (god how I wish there was!) but sometimes we have to try one or two to find that person, maybe your Doctor can help point you in the right direction ..

:hug::aswelcomesu:

Edited by Ihavemadeit

Welcome to AS :hug:

For me, therapy has been an incredible help. There is no magic key because it is extremely hard work and it doesn't come easy. To work through this stuff is very painful but therapy and the right therapist are wonderful tools. You need to try and find a therapist who is a good fit for you...ask for a reference from either people you know, a doctor...best not to just pick a name out of a phone book if you have other options.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find the support you need here.

:hug::hug:

Welcome Stephanie. I hope you find this forum a helpful place to be, even if all you do is read other posts to start with.

I'm afraid there aren't any magic keys but I do think therapy can help. I had therapy last year and have just been referred back to a psychologist by my own doctor. I agree with Becky's advice. Ask around if you feel you can and see if someone can recommend a good therapist to you.

In the mean time I hope you find some support and safe love here.