Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello everyone. I'm new to all of this so please forgive me if I take things slow or take a few days to respond. I've recently had a flood of, I guess, repressed memories come back after almost 3 decades and am not sure what I'm doing or where to start.

I spent weeks just doubting myself and reading up on repressed memories to see if they were real or I was going crazy. Since I'm unfortunately not crazy I'm here. I'm sorry that all of you are here as well but it feels like a God send that this place is here right now. 

I guess that's enough of an introduction for now. 

Hello and welcome to AS, @theonlyme! I'm glad you found your way here, though I'm terribly sorry that you have reason to join. Repressed memories are very difficult to handle...you're definitely not crazy, and I know in a way that seems like an worse of the two evils. Crazy or actually was abused. Both are terrible...I'm sorry again. You aren't alone, though. You'll find a lot of very friendly and supportive people here that can relate to you. 

I wish you all the best on your healing journey!!

-Finchy

Hi and welcome.  I am sorry that you experienced trauma in your life, but I am glad that you found your way here.  I agree this place truly is a God send... I know that I have gained a lot being here. Definitely take your time and look around.  Best wishes on your healing journey

5 hours ago, theonlyme said:

Hello everyone. I'm new to all of this so please forgive me if I take things slow or take a few days to respond. I've recently had a flood of, I guess, repressed memories come back after almost 3 decades and am not sure what I'm doing or where to start.

I spent weeks just doubting myself and reading up on repressed memories to see if they were real or I was going crazy. Since I'm unfortunately not crazy I'm here. I'm sorry that all of you are here as well but it feels like a God send that this place is here right now. 

Hello theonlyme, and welcome on board! I am Wanna :flowers: 

The way you describe suppressed memories, and the wondering if you're crazy, fits well into many other's survivor stories. Our brain has this weird way to protect us from trauma, until it for some reason unleashes them. We don't always understand why, but when it happens, it's important we find healthy ways to cope. Joining a community gives you a chance to connect with fellow survivors, unload and exchange advice. You decide what to share. This is a safe place for all survivors, please know we believe you. 

Yes, this place is indeed God sent. :notalone:

Please let me know if I can be at any help, would it be for assistance with the site or for some company. I am just one PM away! 

All best, W ☀️

Dear itonlyme

Welcome to After Silence. I am sorry to hear of the trauma you have been through!

Being here has helped me so much. Everyone is so caring and supportive here. I am proud of you for reaching out. I know that is hard to do. I also know that you will find that needed compassion and support here within our community. Know we are here for you and we will listen whenever you would like to lean on us.    

Take care and please do not hesitate to ask for any help if you ever need it.  

On 1/30/2024 at 2:02 AM, theonlyme said:

Hey welcome to this community! It's ok start as slow or as fast as you want. We are here to sit with you and listen. Sending hugs if it is ok ❤️