Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

hi, I'm grateful to have found this forum. I'm a survivor, and have been in and out of mental health treatment for the past couple years. Finally been in strong recovery for over a year, and just returning to college (slowly). I've done trauma work and EMDR, though it's still something I think about and struggle with way more often than I'd like to admit. Though I cope much better. I'm grateful to be able to speak and learn with other survivors. It's something I feel like I've been missing. I find even therapists have no idea what it's like to experience and live with, which can make it a bit awkward to talk about. Hah do I wish this were something I never had to think about or deal with or live/learn to live with! Acceptance comes and goes, but I am glad to be learning how to take care of myself and love myself and keep myself safe now, finally. 

Edited by peace_lily

Welcome to After Silence, @peace_lily! I'm so sorry for what you've experienced that brought you here, but I'm so glad that you discovered us. You didn't deserve what happened to you...it was cruel and by no means your fault. I'm glad that you've been working on healing through many different means. That's really commendable! You'll meet a lot of very supportive and friendly people here. You're not alone. ❤️ Best wishes to you on your healing journey.

-Finchy

Hi Peace_Lily,

Welcome to After Silence. I'm sorry you have had to face so much trauma. It sounds like you have done a lot of hard work to get to the point you are now.  You aren't alone, there are many of us here who understand what you have been through and how hard it is to heal.  This is a really safe and suportive place to talk and feel heard.  I hope you find it helpful.

Dawn

Welcome @peace_lily,so sorry you had to find us here at AS ,but so glad to see you have returned to college. I personally found with each therapist session i could open up about my years of being abused as a child .

Please take care , uk63 .

@peace_lily Welcome to AS.  I am glad you have found us.  I know that for this community of people who can relate to my experiences has been a huge help in my healing journey. 

Hi peace_lily. 

Welcome to AfterSilence. I am very sorry for the trauma you've endured and the struggles that you still face. It is unfair and undeserved. You did find a supportive community with so many wonderful people. You are not alone.

It seems you have taken many positive steps in order to try moving forward in your healing journey. Be proud of yourself for what you've accomplished. I understand how you say that you have trouble finding therapist who understand. Some may not be trauma qualified, and most are not survivors. Most, I believe, have a kind heart that do want to help others tho, and they do try. They wouldn't want to do what they do, if they didn't. Perhaps you will find one that you are more comfortable with in the future. Good job for pushing forward with trying tho. I think that one word...trying...is one of our most valuable concepts. It's not easy, I know...but I try too. 

I am glad you have found us and decided to reach out. Feel free to look around and interact where you feel comfortable in doing so. I wish you nothing but the best, as you continue to move forward on this path, we call healing. 

Mary

:youcanheal: 

Dear peace_lilly

I would like to welcome you to After Silence's forums.  We are all here for you and want to support you in any way we can. I know that posting for the first time can be scary.  Please don't worry, though; you will always be given so much support from our lovely community and its members.  You're not alone - we are with you.

Take care and keep reaching out!