Some browsers are having difficulty with functionality. Please try an alternative browser, if this is happening to you. If you are having connectivity issues beyond this or or need assistance, email us at: aftersilence.moderators@gmail.com! ×

Hello,I was sexually assaulted and raped when I was in the military,Marines in 2011.It was tough and lucky the 5 guys in the unit I was in with that did this to me were convicted and doing a long prison sentence.I have MST (military sexual trauma),PTSD and anxiety from it.It has been a long recovery,was in the dumps,nightmares and could not sleep at night at first.I am getting help,the VA and Wounded Warrior Project have been a great help. 

Edited by Marinelady

Hi there, Marinelady and welcome.

I am so very sorry for the trauma you encountered while serving our country. I highly respect your gift of serving; I can say far less for the 5 guys who hurt you and tarnished the reason why they joined. I am truly glad justice found its way and they are held accountable but do know the path of healing still takes time. I'm glad you have found support thru the VA and Wounded Warrior Project and I hope you can now include us as some of your supporters. 

This community is very supportive...with so many understanding and kind members. We stand alongside you and walk with you on this path of healing. You are not alone. 

Feel free to look around the community and feel free to interact where you feel comfortable. I wish you the very best on this path we call healing. 

Mary

:notalone: 

I was raised right to be a patriot and told my parent I wanted to serve this country one day at age 13.Have watched the documentary, The Invisible War that is about sexual crimes done in the military.Did get an honorable discharge too.My family,other family members,friends and my husband whom is a pastor also have been there for support.Did lose an ex boyfriend from it,saw I changed after it happened said relationship was over.I am still angry to this day nothing has not been done about the sex crimes in the military.

Edited by Marinelady

Welcome to Aftersilence. :aswelcomesu:.

I’m glad the VA is helping you, and that the men involved are in prison. I agree with MeBeMary when she says they tarnished their honor as marines. Your so amazing for even joining the military. As a disabled man I couldn’t join the military if I wanted to. I’m glad this country has brave men and women like you. :) 

I'm glad you have received support from family and friends. The ex...well some don't understand or want to understand. In your case, it may have been meant to be, now that you have someone who supports and loves you much better. 

I cannot thank you enough for wanting to and joining and serving with honor. :throb: 

Welcome to AS, @Marinelady. I'm glad you found your way here. ❤️ I'm so sorry for what you experienced while serving our country. You didn't not deserve that. What cruel, disgusting people...I, too, agree that they tarnished the reason why they joined the marines...I'm glad that they've been put in jail. But what they did has had lasting effects on you, and I'm so sorry for that. It's just good that you have support...and you'll find even more support here. You're not alone. ❤️ Best wishes to you on your healing journey!

-Finchy

7 hours ago, Finchy said:

Welcome to AS, @Marinelady. I'm glad you found your way here. ❤️ I'm so sorry for what you experienced while serving our country. You didn't not deserve that. What cruel, disgusting people...I, too, agree that they tarnished the reason why they joined the marines...I'm glad that they've been put in jail. But what they did has had lasting effects on you, and I'm so sorry for that. It's just good that you have support...and you'll find even more support here. You're not alone. ❤️ Best wishes to you on your healing journey!

-Finchy

They did get a dishonorable discharge too.My recovery has been one step at a time

Dear marinelady

Welcome to After Silence!!

I'm sorry for what you have been through. I find it is easier to talk on forums then out loud. Being here has helped me so much, even from the first time I ever posted. It is still helping me - I have so much support here and I know you will, as well. Here at AS, we are like a big family and our members are kind and non-judgemental.

I am sending you lots of safe hugs! :hug:

Take care!

On 5/1/2023 at 3:36 AM, Marinelady said:

Hello,I was sexually assaulted and raped when I was in the military,Marines in 2011.It was tough and lucky the 5 guys in the unit I was in with that did this to me were convicted and doing a long prison sentence.I have MST (military sexual trauma),PTSD and anxiety from it.It has been a long recovery,was in the dumps,nightmares and could not sleep at night at first.I am getting help,the VA and Wounded Warrior Project have been a great help. 

Hey you, welcome here! :flowers:I am Wanna, btw. 

I didn't know about the term MST, you really learn something new every day. Even if these people faced charges, closure and healing can be hard to achieve. Our past tends to sneak upon us at times, and knowing how to cope healthily can be tricky for sure. 

It sounds like you've spent a lot of time researching your trauma and getting help. Good on you for that! You're a fighter. I hope this platform will ease your burden a bit, make you feel supported and understood. Everyone carries a unique story, but we tend to relate to another here. 

This is a safe place for survivors to connect, where you can share what you'd feel comfortable to, discuss trauma and coping, or just chit-chat a bit. 

I am sincerely sorry about your trauma, I am wishing you the best of healing. :notalone:

You can PM me any time with questions, thoughts, or for some company. 

- W ☀️

2 hours ago, WannaMoveOn said:

Hey you, welcome here! :flowers:I am Wanna, btw. 

I didn't know about the term MST, you really learn something new every day. Even if these people faced charges, closure and healing can be hard to achieve. Our past tends to sneak upon us at times, and knowing how to cope healthily can be tricky for sure. 

It sounds like you've spent a lot of time researching your trauma and getting help. Good on you for that! You're a fighter. I hope this platform will ease your burden a bit, make you feel supported and understood. Everyone carries a unique story, but we tend to relate to another here. 

This is a safe place for survivors to connect, where you can share what you'd feel comfortable to, discuss trauma and coping, or just chit-chat a bit. 

I am sincerely sorry about your trauma, I am wishing you the best of healing. :notalone:

You can PM me any time with questions, thoughts, or for some company. 

- W ☀️

One documentary worth watching is The Invisible War,There are other female veterans shown on there that went through the same and nothing done about it at all.I watched it and was emotional 

57 minutes ago, Marinelady said:

One documentary worth watching is The Invisible War,There are other female veterans shown on there that went through the same and nothing done about it at all.I watched it and was emotional 

That's a good tip, thank you! 

I am not American and am in a totally different field, but I have sensed that the military system provides poor protection for these types of violations. I have heard about similar cases... 

Please let me know if I can help ☀️